Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw that a few people were asking if it was possible to easily change the rear gear case drive shaft seal (in the pinion housing) without removing the gear case from the ATV

I took a shot at it this weekend (since I had to) and found it was very easy to do.

I have documented the procedure with pics (hope it all uploads OK)

Hopefully it's detailed enough for all to follow. The files are all MS Word 2000 docs.

[attachment=156963:1Replaci...ame_pg_1.doc]
[attachment=156964:2Replaci...ame_pg_2.doc]
[attachment=156965:3Replaci...seal_pg3.doc]
[attachment=156971:4Replaci...rame_pg4.doc]
[attachment=156972:5Replaci...rame_pg5.doc]
[attachment=156975:6Replaci...rame_pg6.doc]
[attachment=156973:7Replaci...rame_pg7.doc]
[attachment=156974:8Replaci...g_8___10.doc]

Attachments

·
Banned
2,228 Posts
Did you replace the bearing as well?? If not you probably should have as alot of times the bearing is the reason the seal needed replaced in the first place!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Good info!!!

Should be PINNED!!!!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
it was a great post except mine did not come apart so easy..Arctic cat did not make any thing easy except for the new diff axle seals. The front was really easy.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Thanks fossil.

This helped me out a lot.

Reactions: fossil

·
Registered
67 Posts
Did anyone have a problem getting the rear diff to slide back after taking the torx head bolt out of the top of the diff my diff still dies not want to clear even after taking bolt out it keeps hitting the mount bracket where the top of the diff mounts to the frame

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

·
Administrator
40,355 Posts
Did anyone have a problem getting the rear diff to slide back after taking the torx head bolt out of the top of the diff my diff still dies not want to clear even after taking bolt out it keeps hitting the mount bracket where the top of the diff mounts to the frame

You have both bolts out right?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yeap top and bottom diff mount bolts and even that top torx head bolt out of the diff to make it slide back but the bracket wont let it slide back enough to clear

·
Administrator
40,355 Posts
Try turning it and as a last resort engine mounts

·
Registered
67 Posts
I got it finally jist had to bend the top mount for the diff out just a little bit and it slid right back

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
They are a pain in the butt. Seems like I'll wiggle and jiggle just to the point of almost giving up and suddenly it falls out or vice-verso. Seems to help if you stick your right elbow into your left ear while laying upside down, right leg stretched out straight and your left leg bent up holding the left knee under you chin and with your 1/2 torque wrench stuck where the sun never shines. Joking of course, but just might work better?

·
Administrator
40,355 Posts
I pinned this

Reactions: Full Of Mud

·
Administrator
40,355 Posts
You can look it up at countrycat under parts

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can look it up at countrycat under parts
Thanks , I was at my local AC dealer today and they couldn't figure it out they had the same data base as the one you directed me to. Their fix was " oil is cheap" or you have buy the whole assembly and that was $1400. I may just have to take it apart and try and figure it out because I'm not so sure either.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts