Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am going to change out the driveshaft bearing on a 2003 Touring 660, wanted to see if there are any tips, tricks, or specific tools needed to pull this off.

If anyone has a process flow as well, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you

· Registered
14,355 Posts
I've only done a few bearing changes. I put the skis on blocks to raise it and I have a ring on my garage ceiling to hook a cable hoist to lift rear off the ground. Remove skid by removing the 4 bolts on the suspension arms. Wiggle the skid out. It takes a bit of work. Drain chaincase and remove all the gears keeping track of how they go back in. Remove the 3 nuts on left side at the speedo housing. Slide driveshaft out to the right. Install new bearing, flanges, and the lock collar. Don't lock it in place yet. Place driveshaft back in an install the 3 nuts. Install everything in the chaincase making sure top and bottom gears line up to each other. Now you can lock the collar on the left side. To install the skid I have a piece of plywood under the track lifted up with a floor jack. Slide skid in place. This is a bit of work. I then start the 2 front bolts. Now there's different ways of doing the next step with a strap. However I then tighten the track up until the rear suspension arm lines up with the holes in the tunnel. Lift the skid or drop the sled to help with up/down alignment. Tightening or loosening track helps with front/back alignment. Start those and then tighten all 4. Adjust the track as need once you get the chaincase cover back on and filled with fluid.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've only done a few bearing changes. I put the skis on blocks to raise it and I have a ring on my garage ceiling to hook a cable hoist to lift rear off the ground. Remove skid by removing the 4 bolts on the suspension arms. Wiggle the skid out. It takes a bit of work. Drain chaincase and remove all the gears keeping track of how they go back in. Remove the 3 nuts on left side at the speedo housing. Slide driveshaft out to the right. Install new bearing, flanges, and the lock collar. Don't lock it in place yet. Place driveshaft back in an install the 3 nuts. Install everything in the chaincase making sure top and bottom gears line up to each other. Now you can lock the collar on the left side. To install the skid I have a piece of plywood under the track lifted up with a floor jack. Slide skid in place. This is a bit of work. I then start the 2 front bolts. Now there's different ways of doing the next step with a strap. However I then tighten the track up until the rear suspension arm lines up with the holes in the tunnel. Lift the skid or drop the sled to help with up/down alignment. Tightening or loosening track helps with front/back alignment. Start those and then tighten all 4. Adjust the track as need once you get the chaincase cover back on and filled with fluid.
Thank you!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts