Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had my machine serviced at dealers in prior years, but now that new house has a garage I’ll be taking the lead on this.
cracked case open today to find a dark sludge of oil, doesn’t look like it has ever been changed as instructed, also found a bunch of bits scattered about. Seem to be plastic in nature, but I do not see anything that appears to be broken or missing. Can anyone ease my mind here and provide any insight? Hoping it’s nothing to worry about and going to reassemble and fill
Thanks
J-
F09FFDB5-36D1-461E-9416-E402A7F888B2.jpeg
48AF0EC0-CDAC-46A1-A53B-3188F5CE3DAE.jpeg
AB253563-AD60-49E1-B628-7FF63E9BDA13.jpeg
D41C1235-2B3D-42E5-B8F4-C20043D83938.jpeg

·
Registered
293 Posts
Is the chain tensioner ok? (This is the old style with pins instead of bolts)

Skickat från min SM-A530F via Tapatalk

Reactions: favoritos

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
unfortunately I just put cover back on
Looks like it’ll be coming off again.
I just ordered a new tensioner assembly
In this pic there doesn’t appear to be any form of a pad remaining
2D6E5C3D-0575-42F5-8279-AA790A04681C.png

·
Registered
293 Posts
How many miles? Time to put on a new chain also? (@ every 5000km)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sad to see, but not surprised with "dealership maintenance".
With that being said, before everyone starts chiming in, I'm sure there are still some dealers and techs who actually do the work they're required the right way.
Supposedly sucking out the oil and replacing is, yes, replacing the chaincase oil.
IMO, taking the case off, cleaning and inspecting everything is a more through way of changing the chaincase oil.
Kudos to you DMax and others who have the ability and facilities to do things like this on your own.
You avioded what could been a bad day due to dealership "short-cutting".

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mileage...might be around 3000?
Cant post pics of tensioner for some reason but it is damn near worn through. Good timing I suppose on my part

·
Registered
293 Posts
Mileage...might be around 3000?
Cant post pics of tensioner for some reason but it is damn near worn through. Good timing I suppose on my part
Yes I changed my chain and tensioner last week, at ~5800km I think. With the power of modern engines and the traction I rather go for safe than of sorry. The chain looked fine but the tensioner with pins can bend and if that happens it will get alot more expensive than a chain and a tensioner.

·
Registered
293 Posts
It's not all about the tension, I have had bad chains (broken links) that not was that long. A complete chaincase + tensioner + chain is expensive

·
Registered
35 Posts
I second replacing the chain. I rode all the way up to the U.P. (I live about 40 miles north of the Twin Cities, but in Wisconsin) only to fly over a hill and hear a big GRRTTRGGCCCHTTH. My chain had stretched so much that it started looping over the gears when it had a decent load. I had to limp the sled 300 miles home at 20 mph, that was a longggggg day.

·
Super Moderator
8,928 Posts
I second replacing the chain. I rode all the way up to the U.P. (I live about 40 miles north of the Twin Cities, but in Wisconsin) only to fly over a hill and hear a big GRRTTRGGCCCHTTH. My chain had stretched so much that it started looping over the gears when it had a decent load. I had to limp the sled 300 miles home at 20 mph, that was a longggggg day.
That is one heck of a long way to limp.
I had a tensioner go last season. I have to give you credit with the sound description. :giggle: The noise wasn't pretty when the chain jumped. I was passing a group going through a rough straight away when mine skipped the first time. They probably heard the sound. It was one of those days. Pass and immediately pull over to the side. Yeah, I was that guy.
Maybe I got lucky? I limped it to a nearby dealer. The chain hadn't broke and the case was still good. They had all the parts on hand too.(gears, chain, and tensioner) The repair was done while I ate lunch.
It was almost ironic how mine played out. I had the same dealer replace the starter pinion assembly the previous day while I was eating lunch. I asked them to look at the chaincase bearings while I had the sled in their shop. ( I could hear a new sound on that side and I was concerned.) The noise was a slight whine when backing out of high speed and it sounded like a possible bearing. Nobody opened the case since the bearings looked and felt good. There also didn't appear to be any extra free play at the time. The sound I was hearing changed very little over the 260 mile ride before the tensioner failed and the chain jumped. In my case, the upper case bracket pin wore through the tensioner arm. That allowed the tensioner to shift sideways with the shoe halfway on the chain. The noise I heard was from the chain rubbing on the tensioner arm as the shoe wore down.
It went down pretty fast after the upper pin wear allowed it to shift sideways. The case was serviced about 500 miles before the failure. Tensioner was good and the oil looked surprisingly good during the service.
When the assembly failed, the oil was similar to @classicdmax, pictures . I take that as a warning sign going forward. Watch for oil discoloration.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve had my machine serviced at dealers in prior years, but now that new house has a garage I’ll be taking the lead on this.
cracked case open today to find a dark sludge of oil, doesn’t look like it has ever been changed as instructed, also found a bunch of bits scattered about. Seem to be plastic in nature, but I do not see anything that appears to be broken or missing. Can anyone ease my mind here and provide any insight? Hoping it’s nothing to worry about and going to reassemble and fill
Thanks
J-
View attachment 366221 View attachment 366222 View attachment 366223 View attachment 366224

1 - 20 of 26 Posts