Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could anybody tell me how to change a belt on a m7 i bought it used and have no manual,thanks
I dunno

·
Registered
138 Posts
All I do is start to pull it off the secondary than I rotate the primary as I am pulling it off the secondary. This is the easiest way I have found to change it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok i was thinking the little key type socket in the tool pouch was for changing the belt ,so are those for the clutch, sorry for asking just new to all this

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
on my 06 M5 with ACT you take the belt deflector out (count the turns) and take the O ring and spacers off and then thread it back in this will open the clutch and you can remove the belt once the new belt is on just replace the spacers and O ring and Thread it back in the same amount of turns you took it out.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I just man up and spread the shives by hand? Left hand on the back of the movable shive, thumb on the top of the belt, and right hand on the helix cover. Push with the right, turn a little with the left fingers, ans the belt drops and holds the shives open, and out she comes. I think my girlfriend could even do it, no need for the tools :)

Brian

ps, if you have any troubles, she'll do it for ya, just hold her purse

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i tried to take the belt off today but i could not get the sheaves to separate i took the sheave ajuster out took washers off and put it back in and pulled on the outer sheave it wont separate could it be frozen or am i doing somthing wrong

·
Registered
69 Posts
On your secondary clutch (the back one) push in on the helix while trying to rotate it clockwise, it may be a little stiff but it can be done with one hand and with your other hand pull the belt over the secondary clutch and then underneath it. Now you will have it off of one clutch and still on the primary just try to push it off the front as you rotate your primary counterclockwise and the belt will roll under and off. Reverse these steps to replace your belt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks guys i got it i was pulling the sheaves apart without pushing on the helix (lol) very simple to do when done correctly

·
Registered
31 Posts
Buy a rubber strap wrench! An aluminum BOA. You'll love yourself for it. Take out your adjuster, remove the shims, crank the strap wrench and open the sheaves, hand tighten in the adjuster. WOrks like a charm.

At first I had the TSS tool set-up with the BD deflection adjuster- what a pain in the ass. I then bought a dial a wheel from D&D, sweet little unit but I couldn't use the TSS tool anymore. I'd sell it but the theives took it along with my truck and sled last month. Ahh well.

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Got an even simpler trick. Buy the Diamond Drive Billet adjuster I have the tool to change belts with it but I wouldn't waste the time now. instead just use the allen wrench to remove the bolt slide the drive off the shaft remove and replace belt set it on drive and push back on shaft. Its so much easier just to remove the drivens on these sleds to swap belts then anything else IMO.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Lol, its not hard to begin with though :)
Hardest part is getting the belt rolled out from between the secondary and belly pan where the side pannel keeper tab is.
See my origional post...
Brian

·
Registered
420 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coxy @ Feb 27 2007, 01:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I just man up and spread the shives by hand? Left hand on the back of the movable shive, thumb on the top of the belt, and right hand on the helix cover. Push with the right, turn a little with the left fingers, ans the belt drops and holds the shives open, and out she comes. I think my girlfriend could even do it, no need for the tools :)

Brian

ps, if you have any troubles, she'll do it for ya, just hold her purse[/b]
Agreed!

The best way to do it is by hand, I changed it out on my new M6 141 w/ ACT no issues, took about 10-15 minutes the first time with the ACT. No special tools needed!

John

·
Registered
210 Posts
I always did it by hand with the old style but with the new stiffer spring I haven't been able to do it anymore personally.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I was only playin around anyway about the holding the purse thing.....
It takes a big man to admit that :)
Good stuff
Brian

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
put an rkt kit on it, then you'll be able to change the belt without asking your wife for help & you'll love the backshift & trackspeed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts