Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic is pinned up on the top, but I have a couple quick questions.

1: I changed the pump per the above pinned topic. The topic says " lines on the pump won't line up". Mine are lined up NOW, I turned the rod two full turns longer, is this right? My ratio was about 30:1 before, going to check the ratio this Saturday again. I am somewhat dumbfounded as to how they could be that far off on the fat side from the factory.

2: APV oil stinks!!!!! I finally have the fastest sled of my buddies I ride with and now the smell has made me ride in the back of the pack. I don't blame them,, friends eyes were all bloodshot after only 50 miles. They ride '06 POLARIS FUSIONS with the POLARIS oil, smells like cotton candy. Can I run that in my F7???? I can just hear all the complaints now about this being a common topic, please humor me and leave some feedback.

Thanx in advance

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
If you extended it two full turns, keep an eye on your consumption. I don't know if there's really a general rule of thumb, but it seems like a turn on my old F7 was good for about 10-12 to 1. So if the change you made puts you at 50:1 or even 60:1 ... I'd leave it alone.

As far as running the Polaris VES oil ... yep, you can do that. Their oil meets the same criteria Cat APV oil meets, so you should be just fine with that.

Edit: The 10:1 & 12:1 ratio I referred to was noticed while running Amsoil. Just one of those "FYI" things.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
How did you figure out the oil ratio? Need to lean mine out to. Never turned it down and now am running amsoil and it is burning it fast.

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WNYCatRider @ Jan 26 2007, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
How did you figure out the oil ratio? Need to lean mine out to. Never turned it down and now am running amsoil and it is burning it fast.[/b]
Josh -

It's really pretty simple. Check out Marc's (Team Arctic's) post from a while back. I plan on using this same procedure next week with my new F8. Click here.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Thanks. I am going to try and do the numbers this weekend and figure it out next week.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the fast reply guys. LabonteF8 always get good info from you, thanks again. I think I will try the polaris oil.

WNYcatrider: The post at the very top of the page is awsome and very detailed with great pics. But this is the short version; mark you oil tank with a sharpie and fill to that mark, then fill the gas tank, at the end of the day put oil in writing down the ounces used, then fill up to about the same as you did in the begining of your day.

Now, there are 128 ounces in a gallon and 32 ounces in a quart.

Example: 5.65 gal. x 128 oz. = 723.2 oz., 22 ounces used divide by 723.2 = 32.9:1. The numbers are actually how MY ratio was figured.

With one full turn being about 8:1 I turned it two times lengthening the rod to give me approximately 48.9:1. I will check this again and again and again to make sure I won't melt it down.

Somebody chime in if I am wrong, K.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry I am such a slow typer, you guys are quick.

So is my oil pump lines being lined up now, with turning the rod two turns out, still going to give me the approx. 35:1 from the factory?

·
Registered
27 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (slncapri @ Jan 26 2007, 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sorry I am such a slow typer, you guys are quick.

So is my oil pump lines being lined up now, with turning the rod two turns out, still going to give me the approx. 35:1 from the factory?[/b]

Not necessarily. The pump and actuating lever timing marks are just a general indicator. It appears from what most old F sled owners are reporting, is that Cat adjusted the pumps on the conservative side. Seeing how you have lengthened the rod 2 full turns, you have made a substantial adjustment. You will notice the difference without a doubt. You should see less smoke, especially at an idle, and longer intervals between power valve cleanings.

I would run it there and see how it is. You certainly do not want to error on the "too little oil" side.

Frostbit
Nome, Alaska

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.