Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i changed the gears in my 98 ZR600efi from 19/40 to 20/39 and i think i actually lost topend. does this make sense? i previously used to get 95-98 mph on my speedo and now i'm hard pressed to get 90 mph.

stock secondary 49 degree helix and yw spring. 50 grams and yg spring in the primary. peak revs are 8500ish

anyone have any theories or advice?

thanks in advance

Sam

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
You did change the gearing to allow for higher top end speed but you also changed the amount of torque fed back to the secondary. You are starting to rev a bit high as I think your sled should be shifting out at 8200-8300.
My bet is that your clutches are not fully shifting out (can be verified by drawing a line in marker on your clutch sheaves and see how much gets rubbed off) and you likely require a heavier weight now along with some preload fine tuning on the secondary.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
82-8300 RPM is the correct RPM to run the sled. As Wayne stated it sounds to be the secondary is the culprit.
If you have a straight 51° or a 53° this will help solve your problem, the sled needs more shift thrown to it. What hole is the secondary spring set in ?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have both a 51 and a 53 here to try. my spring is in the middle hole. do you think it needs more spring or less?? maybe throw something like some 51 gram weights into the primary too?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I am running the stock gears but i did a ac setup from ed sled and zrrr which is
Orange/white 143/290 prim
52gram ac weights
57/50 degree helix
red/white secondary
engagement is 4700-4900
Pulls much harder than stock and i love it in the trails. back shifts well but not like a down shifting a stick. I run 144 studs and 8 in carbides and can run with about anyone in the twisty trails.

My wifes setup is yellow/green
48 gram
yellow sec
49 helix
she loves it but i pull harder in the mid and higher but she engages lower and smoother for her zl and reverse....

·
Registered
129 Posts
oh and speedo says 98-105/conditions but that is the speedo not radar or gps..................

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
You can put the 53° in and leave the stock spring in the middle hole. If you do go to the 53° and
it is under reving then you can tighten up the secondary spring 1 hole (good for roughly 200rpm)

If you are still over reving with the 53° then go to the 51 gram weights. and you will most likly have
to snug op the secondary spring a tad.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok going for a ride thurs night. will try that then and keep in touch with the results.

thanks for now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts