Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the cover off my chaincase And to get the chain tensioner off it says i need to replace the screw with a set screw and tighten it down then turn with a 3/4 wrench. Easy enough but i dont have a set screw. Is there away around this where i dont need the set screw? I dunno

Attachments

·
Registered
10,438 Posts
Just take out the assembly. The set screw is to hold the threaded shaft for assembling it. You should be OK.

·
Registered
10,438 Posts
I think they are referring to part #24. In this case it should be more like a machine screw.

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think they are referring to part #24. In this case it should be more like a machine screw.
Yea it was i just finished getting it off and all the gears out of the dropcase. Now i need to undo the 3 bolts where the flange is then im not sure after that i gotta read my manual somemore. Quick question - When i took off the reverse gear and the one behind that, theres 3 circular things on the gear that fit into the back of the reverse gear; do they have to be in certain holes or will any holes work

Attachments

·
Registered
10,438 Posts
Any hole will work. Those are the hole that engage to reverse the sled. No worries.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Check the pins for signs of wear, they should be round with a slight chamfer. If they have gouges or wear spots you can develop issues with the sled popping out of gear usually at speed under load. The dings in the holes of the reverse gear are indications of the machine coming out of reverse and into forward while the machine was still moving. This causes the pins to bounce in and out of the holes and usually bends the spring retainer. The retainer should sit flat on the gear except for the 3 squares where the springs are.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That looks like there is metal shavings sitting at the bottom of the chain case...is that the reason for this project?
No thats just dirt that was under the chaincase cover, does look shiney in the picture like shavings. I did get some shavings out on the magniteic drain plug but it was sitting for a few years. Oil that came out smelt real bad. The gears looked good no cracks, chips or missing teeth. The project is a rear skid swap im throwing in a 2001 zr 440 sno pro suspension and a new 1.25 ripsaw in it. Also did new jackshaft and driveshaft bearings. Might tackle the front suspension next summer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.