1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 HCR 800 153
New to the forum, looking for some
Opinions!
So I broke my auto tensioner last year and had to ride out 10-15 miles to get back to the truck, the pad broke off and chain was riding on the metal arm of tensioner. So I replaced the new arm and bought BDX HYVO chain and gear replacement to get rid of the aluminum gear.

Everything installed good up until the tensioner, with this setup the chain is so tight I had to pry very hard on the tensioner to get it into the first notch of the auto tension block. There was barely ANY slack in the chain and everything was so tight it was unrideable.

The gears I bought was 21/49 so I swapped out top gear to a 20 just for some more slack and now the tensioner is roughly half way down the tensioning block.

I know that the chain will stretch slightly once ridden, and would like the 21 top gear in there but is this just too tight to run? Need some opinions other than the parts desk who didn’t offer much help!
The first two pictures are the 21/49 gear ratio with new chain and the tensioner being so tight.
Second pic is the 20/49 with new chain.
Bag Motor vehicle Bicycle part Font Personal protective equipment

Automotive tire Bicycle part Gear Wood Font

Auto part Font Wood Metal Fashion accessory
Auto part Font Wood Metal Fashion accessory
Bag Motor vehicle Bicycle part Font Personal protective equipment
Automotive tire Bicycle part Gear Wood Font

·
Administrator
2,736 Posts
That Should be fine.
There are 2 different length tensioners available a long one 1702-397, and a short one 1702-398.
So depending on which one you have, the other may be better suited to that combo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts