Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

Chain case

889 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  FrozenTows 
#1 ·
I recently had the bearings on the driveshaft replaced and a new flange plate installed near the drive adapter for the Speedometer. I checked the gear oil in the chain case and it looked foamy to me. Is that normal? What's best for the chain case, gear oil or ATF fluid?

#2 ·
I personally only run chain case oil, but I’ve heard of lots of guys running ATF.
You can find Arctic Cat chain case oil on eBay for around $15 and that’s what I’ve always ran with no issues. I think ATF does get foamy but as I said I’ve never personally ran it in a sled.

#3 ·
Foamy? or more looking like a milkshake or a latte?
I had major condensation/water, in the chaincase, early season.

Definitely not normal. I feel my case is self inflicted since I store my sled in an enclosed trailer. Poor air circulation & covering before cooled off.
Changed oil about 1000 miles ago and now the oil color is a darker coffee with a little creamer color.
Running it to seasons end & changing again.

#4 ·
seems like a lot of water was induced to the oil.
make sure your o rings for the lower jackshaft bearing are good.
i also put a dab of rtv just ot make sure.
i used to use atf, however i have switched to amsoil with graphite and not had a chain failure since i switch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.