Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
zr500efi with reverse, losing chaincase oil and it is blowing all over the place, into the footwell, on the right side brake pad of the caliper (not the left though), onto the can and everywhere inbetween. Seems to be contained to the chaincase side of the rotor though. Thought maybe it was the O ring behind the jackshaft bearing but I do not really see any excessive buildup on the jackshaft to be sure. Being that it is a reverse case (looks like a pain the butt to pull apart) I was wondering if anyone has had this happen or had any insight. Thanks

By the way there isn't any play in the jackshaft to show that the bearing is toast and it moves freely.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I've recently posted a similar problem, I think it's about 14-15 pages back. There's too much information for the speed that I can type :lol: , but you should look it up. " constant chaincase leak", last post around jan. 25. I did find that I had the best results filling to the add line (10 oz instead of 12) and so far I haven't had any more leakage, but it's only been 700 miles. :chug:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help, looks like I have the same problem, this chaincase has been a real pain in the but, sled only has 1600 miles on it and already blew 1 chain due to no oil in case (dealer that installed reverse pinched the seal/gasket that goes around the entire case and it slowly leaked out) and now this bang your head

In your journeys how often are you adding oil to be safe? Are you just making sure that the oil comes to the bottom of the dipstick now that you are having issues again? Guess I will drain it and add 10oz and see what happens..

Also where is the vent located, is it the plug on the top of the case?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
The vent is at the top of the case, a small hole, maybe around 3/16". I'm still not sure mine is fixed, but it's not leaking yet. If it stays at the add line, which is about 10oz., I leave it there. I thought the problem was with heat build up, the muffler on a 800 sits about 1/2" away from the case, but I know the 500/600s are further away. As I've said on the other posts, I've tried everything I can think of, and if it leaks again, I'll try something else. I may be going on another 700 mile trip next weekend. that will be 1400 miles since my last repair attempt, and it's never gone that long without leaking, so I'll post the results :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help, and I know what you are saying about the 800 can, I just put an 800 into my sled and that can is huge compared to my old 600, makes getting at things a little tougher, but well worth it when you hit the flipper.

·
Registered
208 Posts
upon reinstalling chaincase after a track change, I rolled the gasket and developed a leak. I noticed a puddle of lube on the floor. I drained the rest out, removed the cover, fixed the gasket, and replaced cover. no more leaks. hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
you guys are lucky, I bet that in the 11,000 miles on my sled, I've pulled the cover off about 12 times :boohoo:
although the rest of the sled has been bulletproof.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts