Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get my D&D lite pipe and my Y pipe ceramic coated. The only reason is because they are starting to look like hell and have some surface rust. What else does ceramic coating do besides make the pipe look better?

I found a company near rochester NY that does ceramic coating called Swaintech. they have a product called white lightning coating that is supposed to be a lot thicker than regular ceramic coatings. is there any advantages to this? i've looked over thier website a few times and still dont really understand it. They also told me that it would be roughly 40 dollars a foot to ceramic coat my pipe. is that a reasonable price to pay?

Also are there any other companies in NY that does ceramic coating?

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
I had Swaintech coat my pipe. It comes back as a whiteish sandy looking finish. If you are looking for a good heat retention coating then I recommend them. I did it mainly because on my T660 hood mod I found the pipe was hitting the heat shields at the hood. By coating the pipe It helps keep the underhood heat down and therefore reduces the melting of the plastic at that hood location. And it's worked out great ! I painted mine flat black after I got it back just to make it look stock and I put on a SLP quiet can for use in Pa where we don't have muffler restrictions. And a speedwerx y pipe also (for some extra juice). It's been a good setup. I'd say go for it if you need the underhood heat reduction especially.

Steve

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so swaintech isn't the shiny type of ceramic coating? thats kind of what i was looking for because i just got done polishing the bulkhead and the clutch guard.....Do they offer the "shiny" type of coating or just the flat looking one like you are talking about?

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
The shiny silver will tarnish fast when you use the sled. It doesn't stay shiney for long. Also, remember that ceramic coating is just like a paint job. And a unprotected paint job tarnishes and fades and in the case of salt it wears away the ceramic coating as well. A paint helps to seal and keep it in place longer (and looking better).

Steve

Call Swaintech. They do offer the shiney one as well. I wanted a lower temp though and they offered it with this service coating.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah I never thought about it tarnishing...and i usually only polish the aluminum on my sled like once a year, so i'd probably be better off getting the "flat" finish and painting it black. I guess then if you dont know if it's a D&D pipe you'll think it's stock haha..thanks for the info guys

·
Registered
39 Posts
You need to get ahold of JET HOT. I had them do the pipes for my 1996 zrt 600 many years ago and they came back looking like jewelry. It was really nice to pop the hood on that and have people come over to check it out. They looked great the day I sold the sled. They held up very well with virtually no discoloration after many miles. It was the pretty silver stuff. They did the three pipes, flanges, springs, and silencer for around $500 bucks. That included a warranty where they would redo them for free one time if it ever came off. They were very fast, very proffessional, and very good at the job they did. I would defenitely use them again. I am sure my sled is still running around the Detroit area somewhere. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts