Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The snow has JUST started again...not sure if this is going to continue or not.
I haven't been out yet on the sled but the roads were crap and the trails looked rough.

You'd hook up good right now though :)

The snow is 'supposed' to continue and if it does we'll have nice solid pack under some fresh powder.. = my favorite off trail riding.
Last I heard we had over 17" of base in the woods...after this rain it's sure to be 1/2 that but rock solid now.
I remember taking our mountain bikes out on mornings like this and riding through the woods on the snow. :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
My friends and I will be heading up to Munising on 2-8 and was wondering how the trails are? I am mainly concerened about the trail heading east from the beartrap.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Snow is low right now but we're expecting fresh stuff this weekend....
Grand Marais / Kingston Plains are low from the rain a couple weeks ago and it has been pretty warm the last two days.
If we get powder though the plains will be awesome, 8 to Grand Marais will be nice too. The trails are ok now I guess (I'm a bit biased ;) ) Sugary snow, shorter tracked sleds will cats ass a bit but it beats nothing but ice!

Munising Bay is nice but doesn't get you anywhere...just had 8 sleds try to get to the bay using our dead end street because the roads are all bare.

hth-

·
Registered
17 Posts
We are planing on going up there 3-6 or 3-13weekend. We mostly ride in the plains can you suggest other places to ride [off trail only]
and are the conditions getting better. Deeper is better.
Thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well it looks like winter is going to be short this year! Almost 50 degrees today and forecasting mid 40's this week.
We're doing a plains ride this coming Saturday but I'm not holding out much hope.

If you want the most untouched stuff I'd recommend renting a cabin at Midway General Store on HWY13 and ride the area between the 440 and south to the 442. (and they have fuel) You'll have access to untouched lakes, marshes and miles and miles of logging roads / dev roads. We were out there this past week, on lakes that never had a track on them, just laying the sled on its side wide open...tight circles..awesome stuff. You can still rip up 7 to the Buckhorn in about 20 minutes too...

Buckhorn should have some rooms open, from there just head south on 7 past Tie Lake, cross the 440 south and have fun..you have the headwaters of the 18 mile, big marsh area, etc...and tons of lakes. The ice will be good for a couple weeks at least-

You sacrifice the "in town" part... which isn't a sacrifice IMO, you guys come up here to ride!!

The plains aren't all that this year either. Lots of traffic....

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rick153 @ Mar 11 2010, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Is there any snow left in the plains to ride, and is it worth the ride from IL.
Thanks[/b]

I would say it's not worth the drive up right now. If (some will say "when") we get our late season snow, it could be fun for a couple days. We had rain yesterday and some today. The base is beat down bad, and what's worse is the snow is mush...your M6 would fair well, my CF1000 just sinks.

Even the Powell Lake / Truck Trail area has gone to crap.

I'll be sure to let you know when we get some fresh stuff, but if we don't.... season's over. As it is, it's over save for maybe a couple days if we get snow. :(

KTM 400 time I guess.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts