Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am having trouble getting the black center shock cover back on my sled and i was wondering what it does and do you need it or can i just leave it off?

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
I imagine it's there to protect the shaft from pitting, as that shock probably take the most abuse from foreign objects. I guess it's a personal choice if you care about how long you want the shock to last.

How did it come off in the first place tho? If you have the skid out it's not that hard to get on.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I would figure out how it goes back on. It's there to keep rocks and other fun objects from damaging the shock like the above post stated. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
They are mainly to protect the shock shaft from debris and pitting, If you forgot to put it back on and are lazy like I was, you could cut it down one side and wire tye it back on. it has worked on my sled for two seasons now.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i took the shock off and when i put it back on i couldn't get the cover back on because i couldn't get the shock back on with it on....don't know y but o well....but either way the skid ended up back in the sled (my dad wanted more room in the garage so he put the sled back together on me) and the cover wasn't on so i didn't know if it was worth it to pull the skid back out to put it back on or not

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
I know it's a pain, but I would say it's worth it due to the cost of the shaft. The shaft alone can cost $80 for a new one. Not sure why it doesn't fit well. Could the shock be upside down?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it don't fit because well.... i have the preload on my spring all the way up and i couldn't compress it enough to get the spring in the skid with that on the spring. i know that you shouldn't have it all the way up but it gives me the ride i want so i figured it would be alright, i know i need to get a new spring for it but at the moment im a little short on cash from having to pay to fix my car to gas for the sled and the trips im gonna go on, after all that i end up with no money for a new spring so i figured id make the best of what i have. i also need to get the shocks redone because there 10 years old and i don't think they have ever been rebuilt (bought the sled used in 2002) but theres only 2000 miles on them so there not HORRIBLE yet but there pretty bad. sorry about the ranting but thought i would tell you all that lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts