Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats up guys?
havent been on in a long time
anyway....was at the dealer the other day and they had the new 700 diesel sitting outside.....turned the key on, waited for the wait to start light to go out, pushed the button and she started right up.....more vibration than my 500...but what do you expect....man i love diesels :lol:
i put it in gear and just touched it and it lurched forward....lots of torque from that big old diesel.....dealer said they sold one to a farmer and he loves it....just wondering who will be the first on here to get one....they deffinately wont have any problems turning 30's in the thick muck....break axles before anything

btw...sorry if this was talked about already...havent had much time to check out the past couple months i missed

ohh yea...went on a poker run this past weekend and i think i blew my front diff up...:lol:

·
Registered
946 Posts
Hey Buddy! Long time - no see....:chug: For the kind of riding I do, I think if the torque is as advertised, a deisel would be neat...I wonder what it sounds like under full throttle.....

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it sounds cool....can be used on 6 different types of diesel...and has a top speed of 40 mph...dealer said price is 9600 but hes selling them for 8800

BTW mark, what part of massachusetts are you in?
my dad was just in Pilgrim all last month...anyway, we got to get together for a ride this summer

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
Sounds like a good motor, probably has the 'Work-Duty' side of ATVing covered better than most gassers.

Problem in our area is when you go to these remote little one-horse towns, re-fueling isn't going to be possible if the stations don't carry diesel. Might be better suited for local work only instead of lengthy rides?

A solution might be carrying extra diesel fuel if the ATV's fuel tank can't hold enough for the enitre day's ride.

I wonder if it gets considerably better mileage than the gassers... If it gets plenty more miles to the the tank it might be enough for the entire ride. For the 100-150 mile days we do, it might not be able to do the whole ride with the 25 liter on-board tank.

My ATV couldn't be the most efficient ATV out there, maybe the diesel is so efficient it can do the same runs without re-fueling? Anyone hear anything about how much fuel it sips/guzzles?

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (A G @ May 10 2007, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sounds like a good motor, probably has the 'Work-Duty' side of ATVing covered better than most gassers.

Problem in our area is when you go to these remote little one-horse towns, re-fueling isn't going to be possible if the stations don't carry diesel. Might be better suited for local work only instead of lengthy rides?

A solution might be carrying extra diesel fuel if the ATV's fuel tank can't hold enough for the enitre day's ride.

I wonder if it gets considerably better mileage than the gassers... If it gets plenty more miles to the the tank it might be enough for the entire ride. For the 100-150 mile days we do, it might not be able to do the whole ride with the 25 liter on-board tank.

My ATV couldn't be the most efficient ATV out there, maybe the diesel is so efficient it can do the same runs without re-fueling? Anyone hear anything about how much fuel it sips/guzzles?[/b]

Not correct on the fuel or lack of for that matter, maybe if they don't carry anything but gas, but highly doubt. Diesel's are more versatile than anything really. I burn #2 heating fuel in mine and some times mix it 20% with straight motor oil or tranny oil. You can use Kerosene, Vegetable oil (if pre heated enough), you can even run 100% motor oil if in a bind as it will smoke a lot.

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (modn @ May 10 2007, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Not correct on the fuel or lack of for that matter, maybe if they don't carry anything but gas, but highly doubt. Diesel's are more versatile than anything really. I burn #2 heating fuel in mine and some times mix it 20% with straight motor oil or tranny oil. You can use Kerosene, Vegetable oil (if pre heated enough), you can even run 100% motor oil if in a bind as it will smoke a lot.[/b]
Isn't motor & tranny oil a lot more expensive than the price of diesel sold at stations? Or gas for that matter?

Guess it all depends on the fuel stations in the riding area. In our riding area Gas is the constant... Good luck trying to find someone to sell you fuel oil, kerosene or vegetable oil. Some of these remote towns don't even have grocery stores.

I'm sure you can find it... But having an outing all about fun transform from a fun ride into a search for fuel just to get home doesn't sound as easy as just using readily available gasoline.

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (A G @ May 10 2007, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (modn @ May 10 2007, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not correct on the fuel or lack of for that matter, maybe if they don't carry anything but gas, but highly doubt. Diesel's are more versatile than anything really. I burn #2 heating fuel in mine and some times mix it 20% with straight motor oil or tranny oil. You can use Kerosene, Vegetable oil (if pre heated enough), you can even run 100% motor oil if in a bind as it will smoke a lot.[/b]
Isn't motor & tranny oil a lot more expensive than the price of diesel sold at stations? Or gas for that matter?

Guess it all depends on the fuel stations in the riding area. In our riding area Gas is the constant... Good luck trying to find someone to sell you fuel oil, kerosene or vegetable oil. Some of these remote towns don't even have grocery stores.

I'm sure you can find it... But having an outing all about fun transform from a fun ride into a search for fuel just to get home doesn't sound as easy as just using readily available gasoline.
[/b][/quote]

Your missing the point.....what are you doing with your used motor oil, vegetable oil, tranny fluid now?? I can tell you that mixing my fuel with the motor oil that my mpg goes up 3 mpg with an 8300# truck, yup it loves it!!!

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Pretty much any farm will have a large supply on #2 in stock to run the tractors, generators, pumps, heat the house, etc. A lot of houses use #2 for heating as well, but they would generally only have between 250 and 500 gal on hand depending on the time of year.

Besides the increased torque and feul economy, the ability to run the same fuel as everything else on the farm is a major advantage. I could also be nice for the recreational rider, you're out tooling around and notice your tank is running low. Just look around for an older house and siphon a few gallons out of their heating oil tank

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MassMark @ May 9 2007, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hey Buddy! Long time - no see....:chug: For the kind of riding I do, I think if the torque is as advertised, a deisel would be neat...I wonder what it sounds like under full throttle.....[/b]
Here is a short vid of one on youtube. Not the best but I came across it the other night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvl_8V2LgVQ

Later
Moslondrinkr

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (A G @ May 10 2007, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

My ATV couldn't be the most efficient ATV out there, maybe the diesel is so efficient it can do the same runs without re-fueling? Anyone hear anything about how much fuel it sips/guzzles?[/b]
Actually AG your wrong about the small towns not carrying it, because all the big trucks running lumber run on diesel, I bet if we check next time out you would be surprised

And what do I do with old oil? I take it to a recycling centre like your suppose to instead of burning it and adding more pollution to the planet

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Houleigan @ May 10 2007, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
And what do I do with old oil? I take it to a recycling centre like your suppose to instead of burning it and adding more pollution to the planet[/b]
LOL, better get rid of your quad too :tongue_nana: .

I recycle mine too. I won't be putting used motor oil in my tank anytime soon. Veggie oil sure.

Later
Molsondrinkr

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (modn @ May 10 2007, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Your missing the point.....what are you doing with your used motor oil, vegetable oil, tranny fluid now?? I can tell you that mixing my fuel with the motor oil that my mpg goes up 3 mpg with an 8300# truck, yup it loves it!!![/b]
Maybe I didn't entirely miss the point about burning used fluids? The 'missed' point I was making wasn't about what you can pour in at home before you leave for the ride. It was about re-fueling while out on a ride where fuels aren't readily available.

Sure, you can burn your 'used' oil for fuel, and pour it in before you depart... No problem!

But if you can't buy fuel (easily) while out on the rides you have to bring your tranny fluid & vegetable oil along if the ATV tank doesn't have the range for the entire ride.

If your ride is beyond the ATV tank's range, and if it isn't possible to buy 'fuel fluids' / diesel while out on a ride, hauling extra fuel in jerry cans might be the only option left. That's the PITA part.

:chug:

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Houleigan @ May 10 2007, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Actually AG your wrong about the small towns not carrying it, because all the big trucks running lumber run on diesel, I bet if we check next time out you would be surprised[/b]
Could be... But it's not in every town. Guess a diesel owner has to make sure he leaves the last town (that has fuel) with a full tank.

Lots of companies using diesel equipment have their own on-site tanks too. When I worked in construction, I saw that once in a while. They have no choice sometimes, can't fly the bulldozer down the road to the nearest station.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Molsondrinkr @ May 10 2007, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Houleigan @ May 10 2007, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And what do I do with old oil? I take it to a recycling centre like your suppose to instead of burning it and adding more pollution to the planet[/b]

I recycle mine too. I won't be putting used motor oil in my tank anytime soon. Veggie oil sure.

Later
Molsondrinkr
[/b][/quote]

That's why I said MORE, bad enough I run the atv and two 2 stroke snowmobiles right

I would never want to be stuck behind a diesel atv that's for sure, bad enough when I am doing my circle check on my bus it makes me wretch

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Molsondrinkr @ May 10 2007, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Houleigan @ May 10 2007, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Later
Molsondrinkr
[/b][/quote]

Your right on that if you are running a Duramax or anything running their type of injectors ....Piazo I think? They won't take a pounding like my injectors will.

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Houleigan @ May 10 2007, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Molsondrinkr @ May 10 2007, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Later
Molsondrinkr
[/b][/quote]

That's why I said MORE, bad enough I run the atv and two 2 stroke snowmobiles right

I would never want to be stuck behind a diesel atv that's for sure, bad enough when I am doing my circle check on my bus it makes me wretch
[/b][/quote]

I guess we are equal then as I don't run the snowmobiles.

·
Premium Member
5,566 Posts
Is this quad going to suffer the same fate as the Polaris 455 Diesel 4x4 god of a few years ago

anyone see the Poo deisel on any runs?

·
Registered
410 Posts
I was at the dealer today and was looking at the diesel more. They took it for a spin down in Crosby-nice mud hole down here. It wasnt driven through the holes yet, but the little it did go through-they said they were very impressed with its torque and power.

The diesel as i was told is an italian motor-suppose to be very reliable and will outlast the frame it sits in. It wont be long for mods being available for it too.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yea, its an italian motor....they say it gets 50% better fuel mileage than the gasser (500cc i think)

hey walt..the duramax, and even the new ford have the piezo injectors.....even for your truck they say that tranny fluid and motor oil is bad for it.....i might be getting a cummins soon and i have been researching alot (im also going to school for diesels) but alot of the cummins guys are adding a quart of two-stroke oil to every tank of fuel....quites down the motor while helping to lubricate the fuel pump, injection pump, and injectors.....also boosts mpg...they run the ashless type of oil though..you have to look for it

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought a new 700 Diesel yesterday. I rode it 42 miles today. It has plenty of torque but could have more. The pump can be turned up to increase the power. As for the questions on the fuel range. It's supposed to get somewhere around 40-50 miles per gallon and has a 5.5 gallon tank. 200-250 miles per tank. The top speed is 45mph and it accelerates about the same as a Arctic Cat 400 but with the pump turned up it would be quicker. I'm working on finding someone qualified to check out the pump and give it a little twist. Most of my riding is trail riding in very hilly country. The diesel does very well on the hills. As for the pump, it's set very lean. While riding on the trails I only once smelled a hint of diesel fumes. The engine is a Lombardini. It's used in commercial and marine applications around the world. Engine life before a major overhaul is 10.000 hours.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.