Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So where im moving in Colorado it is said one place you could be at 5000' and the next 10 000'. Im looking into buying a new Cat, hopefully a 500, but with all the altitude changes would EFI be necesary? Anybody around here ride in the Rockies. With all the thin air would a carberated Cat be at a disadvatage?
Thanks for the Help

AUSSIE :beer_cheers:

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
If you buy a Cat in Colorado you should be fine, they will be jetted for the altitude. If you buy a Cat and then move to Colorado take it to the dealer or just rejet it yourself.

EFI is nice, but a carb would be just fine, it is up to your own preference

Good luck on the new Cat :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
EFI would be a nice benfit with a no hassel, jump on and ride. Though if you dont have the extra money for the larger fuel injected ATV then a new carbed cat with proper initial jetting and a Dial-A-Jet would be just as good. The DAJ would allow you to adjust fuel/air mixture easily with the hassel of rejetting.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How exactly does the DAJ work? Is it the same as rejetting?

·
Registered
114 Posts
DAJ is pinned on Arcticchat so go there for info about install and set up. I also ride at altitude (7,500' and up). I installed a Dyno-Jet carb kit (jets, needle valve) and although not perfect, it's a nice compromise and the instructions tell you what to use for the altitude you'll be riding. You've got about $5 in parts and the rest of the cost is their R&D. Go to their web site for further information.

Remember you'll lose ~3% power per 1,000' of altitude because of the reduction in the partial pressure of oxygen. At the Colorado altitudes you are intending to ride you'll be down at least 15% of sea level power. it's normal. Jet for the lowest altitude you'll be riding and go from there. Dial-a-jet will compensate for higher altitudes, but if you only ride higher once-in-awhile it's not necessary. At higher altitudes than what you're jetted for your bike will run richer but will still run fine.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
I have ridden my V-2 at 6,000' with no issues, but as the others above have mentioned the DAJ would be a good mod for your riding.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I have a 650 V2 and it has no problems at 10,000 ft I did put a moose module on it I just had to turn the idele knob up.
But now i have te efi 700 and it works great. My buddies have 2 of them and have had no problems. Go with efi.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm from Oklahoma (about 1000 ft. above sealevel). My experience riding in Utah and Colorado is that my '06 500 runs fine with factory jetting up to about 7500 ft or so. When I rode north of Gunnison, CO, hitting elevations higher than 12,000 ft I definetely had to rejet.

Although rejetting isn't that big an issue, there's a lot to be said for being able to go out and ride without worry with an EFI system. IMHO, in this day and age EFI has lost its mystique and is a proven, reliable and battle-worthy technicalogical advantage.

I would highly recommend that you strongly consider a quad with EFI rather than carburation for riding in the Rockies.

I'm sure there will be those who disagree, to which I say, "to each their own".

stellarpod

·
Registered
107 Posts
I bought my 400 here and it runs fine up here. I have taken it to 9500 ft. and it performed as it did at the norm here (5700). What part of Colorado are you moving too?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im moving to the Golden area. No of any trails in the area, im clueless I dunno

·
Registered
17 Posts
i go to colorado every summer and ride. in texas I run a 146dj main jet in colorado i run a 138dj. if youre bike is stock then start by going 8 jet sizes down and you should be fine. and the 500 and h1 are so easy to rejet not a big deal.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
I live one the other side of the Rockies and ride a wide variety of elevations and haven't had a problem with loss of power. The jetting was set when I bought it so they pretty much knew I would be riding high elevations as well as down in they valleys. With a small cc motor there might be more pronounced.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts