Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anybody had Carpal Tunnel caused by snowmobiling? This year was another big mile year but I was forced to quit do to Carpal Tunnel. My neurologist thinks it is caused by snowmobiling do to a accumulation of repetitive force to hands and wrists. If you have read my posts you know that my snowmobiling is a bit excessive (5000 miles every year last 6 years). It comes to a end early on a very good year. So now for the month of March I am convalescing in a warm spot but my mind is not far snowmobiling. Is Carpal Tunnel common and what have others done?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
well I have had it for 25+ yrs now, had 3 surgeries and its still here, maybe worse now than ever,
so, your not going to like my 2 cents, that is only gets worse as yrs go by!
did a lot of therapy , ultra sound, laser, heat/water ice, physical, you name it and surgery's again!
some days things work better than others, some days things lock up, freeze up and are as painful as anything one can experience!
it sucks, one of them things, folks that DON"T have it, (or have it bad) will never understand it

I find good compression gloves help me the best, but have never yet found anything that helps 100% of the time
its just some days are better than others, and live with it best you can!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Yep, going in on Thursday for my second one. Tryed everything out too try not to get surgery because it’s not a guarantee with surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I had my first one 5 years ago and things where just fine but in the last 4 months I lost feeling in my left hand. A lot of people like you said just don’t understand how that can affect your way of life.

·
Registered
10,417 Posts
Well that sucks big time!! If I'm on longer sled rides or quad rides my thumb and wrist start to ache. I find it worse with my carbed sled vs the EFI sleds. I think it started when I was working as I worked at a computer for a long time with a lot of mouse work. Since retiring It's a lot better but every once in a while it starts to ache. Even when I'm fishing while trolling. I'm lucky enough that it's nowhere near as bad as you guys. Hope all go well for you guys.

·
Super Moderator
8,668 Posts
Bummer deal DVW. I know you like to ride.

Riding bud had both hands done last year. He had a tough time riding before the surgeries. Seemed to be doing pretty good this year. So, there is hope.

I have a minor case myself. Both hands. I try to manage it with weight training, exercise, and stretching. It has actually gotten better without surgery. It hasn't been easy though. I really have to pay attention to things that cause it to flare. I swap sleds quite a bit and some setups are literally a pain. I have found that setting up the controls for my riding helps. Gloves and grips also make a difference for me.

It surprises me how fast my hands/wrists start to bug me when I hop on another sled.

·
Administrator
37,156 Posts
If you wear wrist braces at night , designed for carpal tunnel it really helps. You do the most damage when sleeping!!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Ya, the brace helps out a lot at night, just had my second carpal tunnel surgery last Thursday

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I have it a little, If I'm on a long ride sometimes I have to "palm" the throttle to ease up on my thumb. I've been sledding since 1972, and bought my first cat in 1974. All that time will take its toll. Especially the hearing, especially that first Panther with the Kohler engine with the carb intake pointing right at the back of the windshield. It all takes its toll

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
If you wear wrist braces at night , designed for carpal tunnel it really helps. You do the most damage when sleeping!!
Bowling gloves

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
It’s not fun when it acts up on you. I have poor blood circulation too, it’s always something.

·
Administrator
37,156 Posts

I had carpal tunnel and thumb ligament reconstructive surgery. Neither worked very well.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Ouch ... that left a scar. That’s what I hear ... mine only lasted about 5 years and came back like it was on steroids.

·
Administrator
37,156 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
This is the one that ruins my sledding time when my electric gloves don’t work
got to have that blood flowing

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I have it a little, If I'm on a long ride sometimes I have to "palm" the throttle to ease up on my thumb. I've been sledding since 1972, and bought my first cat in 1974. All that time will take its toll. Especially the hearing, especially that first Panther with the Kohler engine with the carb intake pointing right at the back of the windshield. It all takes its toll

We had a 399 Kohler powered Panther too, I remember that intake and staring at it as we rode along. I was a sad little boy when that sled was sold.

·
Super Moderator
8,668 Posts
This is the one that ruins my sledding time when my electric gloves don’t work, got to have that blood flowing
I know the feeling. I have two fingers that lost some reach,(middle and ring.) It is a big deal keeping them warm. I have been able to get by with gauntlets so far.

It also makes me more aware of keeping my hands away from another surgeon's knife. I have worked in places with people all around going through carpel tunnel issues. I see the scars a lot. The recovery is tough for those going right back to the same work.

BTW, the new smaller grips since 2017 have helped my riding. I find them easier to grip and can go longer without pain flare ups. I didn't think the revised grips would be a big deal. But, I notice right away when I hop on a machine with the larger grips.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I am going to have to try something out in the future, they want to do my left wrist next month but since it’s getting num or hurting me , I am not getting it. I guess being in the trades and turning a wrench all your life has a price when you get older. You play you pay.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
For what it's worth, here are a couple things that might help= Twist Throttle and I don't know how hard, or even possible on a sled, but, power steering. I put a twist throttle on my AC Diesel ATV , day and night difference. I might try to convert it to power steering at some point.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
We had a 399 Kohler powered Panther too, I remember that intake and staring at it as we rode along. I was a sad little boy when that sled was sold.
A buddy of mine has THAT exact sled, a 70 with a 399 Kohler (my ears ring even when I type that) just like the one I had, He'' give it to me if i want it. It's been sitting outside uncovered for years.

Heres mine, I'm 17 years old in that picture

1 - 20 of 23 Posts