Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 ARTICCAT 366 –RED. Had it for about 1 year before the carburetor started to stall. I have bought a replacement air piston to attempt to fix the problem. Engine will idle, however when you give it gas it will stall consistently. Carburetor was taken out and cleaned through dipping. Adjustment of pilot screw can only be made prior full assembly of unit. Adjustment afterwards while running is next to impossible. Is this a common problem?

Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I have a 2008 ARTICCAT 366 –RED. Had it for about 1 year before the carburetor started to stall. I have bought a replacement air piston to attempt to fix the problem. Engine will idle, however when you give it gas it will stall consistently. Carburetor was taken out and cleaned through dipping. Adjustment of pilot screw can only be made prior full assembly of unit. Adjustment afterwards while running is next to impossible. Is this a common problem?

Any ideas?
if the drawing diagram you posted is the diagram of your carburetor. The idle adjustment screw is part #16 and is accessible after the carburetor is assembled with a very short screw driver and small gloved hand, Tight to get a hand in there but doable. and some where between 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 turns open from lightly seated is the sweet spot on most carbs.

To answer is this a common problem? Only when the carburetor has been improperly cleaned, re-assembled wrong, or parts got lost,or adjusted wrong. Getting to the point of requiring a good cleaning is common when it is is storage for long periods and gasoline in the float bowl turns to gel or varnish, old stale gasoline and dirty gasoline with no fuel filter.

There are a lot of tiny passageways and jetting ports that cannot be properly cleaned unless fully disassembled, soaked, and blown out with compressed air. There is a part that can easily be lost during dis-assembly #7 the actual needle jet. If this part is missing, running behavior is often as you describe. Fuel level in the float bowl is or float level adjustment can also cause your symptoms. Another common cause is what you are experiencing is a manifold leak when air is entering the engine from down stream of the carburetor via a cracked manifold boot or vacuum port.

·
Registered
433 Posts
x2 ....

that carb looks like a keihin.... was it fully disassembled when it was dipped? the decelerator circuit diaphragm does not like carb cleaning fluids...

another thought: choke problem?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've got the same problem with mine. The gas gauge glass broke and over the winter the tank accumulated quite a bit of water. I took the carb apart and cleaned it. Everything looks fine. Looked clean all the passages are clear and open.
It starts and idles fine but when you give it gas it sputters and dies.
I dislike Kiehin carbs. I'm used to round slide Mikuni's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts