Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone having trouble with carb on 400 2005 arcticcat atv took mine to dealer 5 times now still no luck they replaced carb 2 times and did a little ajusting to the float still no luck but were great to get along with

·
Registered
472 Posts
I might be able to help if you describe the kind of "carb problems" you are having. Leaking fuel? Running too lean? Idles rough? Etc...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
feul leaking out of overflow tube on bottom of carbwhen idiling the atv doesn't leak feul but you taker her for a run on the trail about 10 or 20 min the tube is full of gass has had the carb changed twice on her float adjusted and a few more things done with it a nd still cant seem to get it rightand now the dealer doesn't even know what to do for me well i sugested to trade inmy atv for a newer atv any help plz ty and by the way great site

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
from what your describing sound like a float issue to me but if a couple of different carbs have been installed on there and nothing was found (dirt,ect) that would make the floats stick up and continue to let gas in i would be puzzled, glad to hear dealer is trying to fix for ya.

the bottom of carb there is a skrew and a hose, that is a drain and the skrew should be closed so if anything you would be flooding out the machine before any gas would come out that hose.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Since the carb has been totally replaced on two occasions, do you think that there is a sending issue between the tank and the carb itself? Are you building excess pressure? Just a thought...

·
Administrator
7,965 Posts
This is a little puzzling, You say 2 different carbs? Are they using 2 new complete carbs or are they re-using some of your old carb parts? i.e. float bowl or anything.
If it is coming out of the overflow tube ( with 2 or 3 different carbs) I'd have to say that your gas tank is building up pressure like saskabush mentioned, possibly just from engine heat, hense, the 20 minutes or so. Take the gas tank vent line off and blow thru the line, cant blow thru it? then thats your problem. Next thing to try, take a small drill bit and make sure the gas tank vent nipple is completely open, drill it slightly larger than before.(keep gas tank cap on for this, you dont need any sparks near an open gas tank) Gas tanks are blow molded plastic and maybe they forgot to drill it completely from the factory or theres a little extra piece of plastic on the inside of your tank plugging the vent line. Your tank is mounted above the engine so its gravity fed, no fuel pump to worry about so the only way to build up pressure is to have a non-working vent.
If its coming out of the float bowl drain tube, (located at the bottom of the float bowl) I'd say its it the casting of the float bowl itself (and thats only if they re-used your float bowl on the new carbs) to fix that, just plug the end of the plastic tube w/ a screw. Hope this helps ya and you dont have to sell it..........tigger

·
Administrator
7,965 Posts
One other thing to check, do you have enough clearence between your carb and exhaust header? (an inch at least) A hot pipe too close to a carb will boil gas out the overflow. I doubt thats your problem, but it happened on my 05 500.........tigger

·
Registered
472 Posts
Good call on the "re-built" carb. I just took it as being a *total* replacement. If you start with bad things, you will usually get bad results.

If the carb is in good shape, I would bet you dollars to donuts that you have a pressure issue. All in all, the gas tank and carb are pretty simple assemblies, I am sure that you will get it worked out soon.

Start with the simple solutions and work towards the complex...

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Tigger beat me to the punch. If they are reusing the floats and such from the old carb, that could be the issue (cracked float which is taking on fuel, and thusly flooding the carb). If they are using all new parts, then I would check the other things Tigger pointed out. Venting...ya need it. Might even just be plugged with mud or something.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey guys tkx for the help i took the vent hose off the tank and blew through it it's not plugged but like you guys said could be where the hose on the tank snapps in maybe little bit of plastic left there will check tomorrow my warranty soon be up now so i like to get it fixed now and it gets pretty expensive after a while cost me around 200 bucks taking her back to the dealer and nothing fixed im not impressed at all one thing for sure i like the ride on my atv but to impressed with the carb problems a few ppl who i was talking to said they were interssted in a new bike but ther said wont be buying a cat and i almost forgot i brand new carg fr catcare and they took one off 2007 400 i dinn't think the carbs were the same but i guess im wrong ok guys any help plz

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey guys tkx for the help i took the vent hose off the tank and blew through it it's not plugged but like you guys said could be where the hose on the tank snapps in maybe little bit of plastic left there will check tomorrow my warranty soon be up now so i like to get it fixed now and it gets pretty expensive after a while cost me around 200 bucks taking her back to the dealer and nothing fixed im not impressed at all one thing for sure i like the ride on my atv but to impressed with the carb problems a few ppl who i was talking to said they were interssted in a new bike but ther said wont be buying a cat and i almost forgot i brand new carg fr catcare and they took one off 2007 400 i dinn't think the carbs were the same but i guess im wrong ok guys any help plz

·
Registered
116 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (scallywagger @ Jan 4 2007, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
feul leaking out of overflow tube on bottom of carbwhen idiling the atv doesn't leak feul but you taker her for a run on the trail about 10 or 20 min the tube is full of gass has had the carb changed twice on her float adjusted and a few more things done with it a nd still cant seem to get it rightand now the dealer doesn't even know what to do for me well i sugested to trade inmy atv for a newer atv any help plz ty and by the way great site[/b]

That is normal for any atv carb with an overflow. The rougher the trail, the more it will drip.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey guys tkx for the help but i been talking to other arcticcat owners i talked to about 15 ppl no problems with thier atv they ride on same trail as me also i talked to other ppl that own other machines they dont have any problem i went out this morning pluged my overflow hose and also i took a small drill bit to see if any thing was blocking the vent in tank nothing blocked there so i pluged the hose but didn't go for a ride yet what will happen will she flood or what will happen let me know tkx guys

·
Registered
116 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (scallywagger @ Jan 6 2007, 08:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
hey guys tkx for the help but i been talking to other arcticcat owners i talked to about 15 ppl no problems with thier atv they ride on same trail as me also i talked to other ppl that own other machines they dont have any problem i went out this morning pluged my overflow hose and also i took a small drill bit to see if any thing was blocking the vent in tank nothing blocked there so i pluged the hose but didn't go for a ride yet what will happen will she flood or what will happen let me know tkx guys[/b]

Dont plug the overflow! That will flood the engine!

Im telling you, They are supposed to drip a little when riding, or at least its normal. They are supposed to have a hose on them routed to the ground, and most people never notice the fuel running out of them.

I work on these things for a living!

·
Administrator
7,965 Posts
I agree, do not plug the overflow tube. It's also a vent for the carb.
If the quad run's fine, why mess with it? A little drip here and there wont hurt it at all. Unless it's a big drip. Give us a little more to go on with your problem and we should be able to help ya...................tigger

·
Registered
387 Posts
I also have the same problem on my 2005 400i. I called the dealer and he told me to either bring it to him or try cleaning the carb myself. I removed the carb and took it all apart...that's when I noticed this black grit-like stuff that was in the area where the rubber pointed float thing pushes up into to shut the gas off...it's attached to the white plastic float things (2 of them) that push the rubber shutoff up when the bowl is full. The grit must have been clogging the shutoff and allowed the gas to freely flow out when I stopped. I cleaned it all out good with STP carb cleaner and then used compressed air to blow everything clean. I then installed an in-line Purolator 1/4" fuel silter and it's been much better....although I do occassionally get a couple of drips here and there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well it's more than a drip well i can tell you that i can only get 68 miles to the tank i dont think she is that impressive on gas and some of my buddies got the same machine and they get alot more miliage out of thier machine and they ride the same trail as i doi had it pluged up that is the hose fr bottom of carb when i took plug out the hose it was full only riding for about 15 minutes so that shoule tell ya something ther ok guys tkx for the help

1 - 20 of 27 Posts