Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I hear alot of guys saying you might have to drain your carb bowl for solutions to backfiring or stalling etc. I'm just wondering how does one do that? Is there a screw that I can take off and it will drain (like the belt drainage) or do I have to take the whole carb off? An illustration or picture or the location of where the screw (if any) would be much appreciated. Thx fellas....

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
This pic is from my 500 - but I would think you would be looking for a very similar type of setup on your carb. Hope it helps. You just need to back the screw out a bit and fuel will start running out that hose. You shouldn't need to remove the screw, just back it off a couple of turns.

Cheers
Aaron

[attachment=61349:100_4165.JPG]

Attachments

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Just draining the carburetor bowl sometimes isn't sufficient. If there are dirt particles in the drained fuel, that would indicate that there's a good chance that there is residual dirt in the carb bowl as well as elsewhere in the carb. You can give the bowl a good flush to see if that works. Otherwise, the bowl must come off of the bottom of the carb by removing the screws that hold it on. Sometimes the carb can be left on the machine but with the hose clamps from the air box and to the manifold loosened. Clean the carb and area around it thoroughly. Make sure your cable(s) have enough slack then rotate the carb so the bottom is facing sideways to access the screws. Carefully remove the float bowl and make sure you do not bang or make hard contact with the float(s). Do a thorough inspection and cleaning of the bowl and bottom of the carb and replace. I'm attaching a PDF file of the AC parts diagrams and lists that include the carburetor. Check the component list on the left side of the file, find carburetor and look it over. It'll help you understand the carb better. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Look at the bottom of your carb bowl and where the little rubber hose hangs down there should be a screw just above where the hose connects to the carb. To drain the bowl just turn that screw a few turns out and fuel will flow out the hose. when down dont forget to tighten up the screw.

Like borat said sometimes just draining the carbs isn't goign to cure your problem and still leave some dirt in the carbs, if its logged in a jet or float/needle valve assembly. If that is the case the carb will need to be disasembled and properly cleaned. It would be best to remove the carb, esspecially since the bowl screws can be a PITA to get out. When cleaning use a good carb cleaner and spray everything down and let some soak in the bowl, remove the pilot and main jet then let them soak for a little bit and clean them out with some compressed air. I also blow some air (not high PSI) around the carb to clear out any ports. Its pretty easy to do and by far the hardest part is just getting the carb out so you can work with it.

Take a look at THIS POST and it should help you out on getting the carb out and takign it apart, while its a different carb then on your 650 still basically the same steps and idea.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts