Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Traded for a 2002 Arctic Cat 500 4x4. The intermediate gear in the starter gear reduction system has busted out of its bosses in the engine case and stator cover. Changed the oil and got everything cleaned out of the stator cover, bought a used recoil starter on ebay and replaced the pull rope with a cobra rope... I CANNOT pull start this thing. I'm 6'2", 230lbs and built like a brick sh!t house... but I'm lucky to get two poots out of it with a major pull. Is this a common thing or is something wrong? With the gear reduction start setup broken, pull starting is my only option. I thought these things had a compression release (I'm sure its internal on the cam, as I don't see a manual release like the 250). Maybe it's not working? I've never had something this hard to pull on the recoil starter. I'm itching to hear this thing run.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I figured it out - there's a process to it. Get the engine to the compression stroke, pull it about halfway through the compression stroke, and then jerk on the rope. You can only pull it to the start of the next compression stroke before compression stops you - about a foot of pull on the start handle. Thank God I upgraded to a cobra rope, or I would have pulled the pull start handle off by now. I would guess that adjusting the valves will help. Haven't got that far yet.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
I've owned a 400 and a 500 Cat in the past, the 400 wasn't bad, but the 500 was a handful. Can't imagine what a 700 would be like!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts