Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2008 500 that when I bought it the brakes seemed weak I figured it was just air so I bleed the system I wouldn't say I got it 100% but they seemed alot better then before after about a year without issues all of a sudden they got week again but if I held the foot brake down and pumped the hand brake it would pressure up so I tried bleeding them again but can't get them to pressure up I'm using one of those one man brake bleeders and I dont see any air in the line and I have no visible leaks so I'm wondering if I have a seal gone in the hand brake or the foot brake cylinder
Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've never had 100% success with those one man bleeders, I could get close but needed to finish the "old school" 2 person way.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
If i remember correctly your hand brake and foot brakes are not connected at all on that machine. The foot brake is running the 1 caliper the hand runs the other 3.

There are a few things you can look at, master cylinder rebuild kit for the hand brake is alot cheaper than caliper rebuild kits, I would consider looking at one.

Caliper rebuild kits exist and are sold by cat, they include a new piston and 2 new seals. If you take calipers off the rotors and look around the edges you can sometimes see bubbles coming out around the piston on the bad caliper, but they get pulled back in when you release the handle so you never see a mess/stain.

My brakes have been the bane of my cat ownership until I finally split the system so that only 1 end of the machine is effected if something fails

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got a 2008 500 that when I bought it the brakes seemed weak I figured it was just air so I bleed the system I wouldn't say I got it 100% but they seemed alot better then before after about a year without issues all of a sudden they got week again but if I held the foot brake down and pumped the hand brake it would pressure up so I tried bleeding them again but can't get them to pressure up I'm using one of those one man brake bleeders and I dont see any air in the line and I have no visible leaks so I'm wondering if I have a seal gone in the hand brake or the foot brake cylinder
Thanks
Hey, I have a 2006 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 Limited edition that is green. Where can I find an entire rear brake kit for it like calipers and rotors and pads for it?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hey, I have a 2006 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 Limited edition that is green. Where can I find an entire rear brake kit for it like calipers and rotors and pads for it?
1 rotor, depends which caliper you need, pads are cheap get EBC. nobody really makes a "kit" but you canr ebuild the calipers so nobody usually replaces them unless trashed, rotors are reasonably cheap

·
Registered
54 Posts
My younger brother recently got this 2007 500 and it needs a new brake caliper and probably a new set of wheels and tires. He's looking to get the set from 4 Wheelonline while we are preparing the fairings for re-painting. He failed to bleed it last week so we'll do it together.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts