Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't decide whether to buy a 400 or 500 cat. I think I definetly want auto but the size if making me think. Anybody have comment.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
if you can afford it go big. theres a big difference in power between the two.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
The 500 is liquid cooled. It will operate at a more consistent temperature. The 400 is air/oil cooled and will not keep it's temperatures as consistent. In hot weather or heavy work conditions, the 400 will lose power as the heat rises. The advantage of the 400 is simplicity and reliability. You'll never have to worry about a coolant leak. You will however have to worry about an oil leak if you damage or accidentally pull off a hose from the oil cooler. If you're planning on flogging the machine, I'd suggest the liquid cooled 500. Maintenance will be increased a bit compared to the 400. If you're not into heavy work or flogging it through mud bogs, the 400 will suit you fine. The difference in price is also a consideration.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
If you have the money i would go ahead and get the 500 it has more power but its the low range revese is what makes it better for all uses..imop If your going to use it for trail rideing and work around the house/farm the 400 would be just fine, but for just alittle more "I" would step up to the 500. depends on how much power you want/need......

·
Registered
18 Posts
I purchased a 500 and glad I did. I am actually thinking of upgrading as I do a fair amount of logging road running and its nice to have the extra.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
IMO 500 or bigger.The AC's are big and heavy(well built) and i think are more rider friendly with the larger engines.The 400 is only a 376cc's and the 500 has 493cc's.That's a big difference.Plus the 500 has more torque.Do you plan on adding bigger tires for the mud or just trail ride?What are you gonna do with this quad?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I plan on putting on 25 or 26" ITP Mudlites. Mainly trail riding a litttle work and some mud.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
You will be sorry if you get the 400. Don't get me wrong, it's a great bike and will take you where you want to go, but if you are like most, you'll be wishing for the extra cc's shortly after getting used to the 400!

You can drive a 500 like a 400, but you can't drive a 400 like a 500!! Rockerdude

·
Registered
1 Posts
go with the 500 you wont regret it and youll appreciate the power

·
Registered
54 Posts
Get the 500 you will be very happy. I just put 26" Mud lites on mine and what a change night and day. this was a great inprovment and i would recomend this up grade to every one :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I just rode a 400m and 400auto. I wouldnt own either one of these. Top speed on the man was 37-41 going down hill. 400 auto. 42-43 with the auto. So if i had to pick from the two. I would go with the 500.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've got a 500 TBX and a 400 auto. I like them both. The 500 definitely has more power ( I know, big suprise scret no secret there...). But I am not disapointed. I knew what I was getting. If the 400 accomplishes what you need to do, then by all means, save a few bucks. If you're worried about the power... Get the 500!

·
Registered
361 Posts
If your not worried about the price difference then go for the 500...you will thank yourself later.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought a 400 last July and it has done everything I need it to do. What I need is a machine that will pull a trailer load of firewood, roll over stumps on logging trails, bust open new trails on my property, and cross swamp land. My 400 has done all this flawlessly for the last 700 or so miles. I like the simplicity of an air/oil cooled engine and 40 miles per hour is plenty fast enough to cause great bodily harm if not death if that is what you are into. I have yet to find a circumstance where I have not had enough power but I do live on some of the flattest land on earth being at the tip of the thumb of Michigan.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just bought a 400M and I also have a 500 TRV. The 500 has alot more power, but the 400 makes up for it in the fun factor. My opinion anyway. I don't regret buying my 400 AT ALL. I actually like it so much, I gave the 500 to my wife. If the price is right, go with the 500....but my 400 goes everywhere my buddies 700's go. Just a little slower. my2cents

·
Registered
65 Posts
Go as big as you can afford to. You will not be upset if you go bigger but may wish you had more power if you buy the little machine.

But I have this power thing and it costs money to keep it going!! :devil_angry:

Any Arctic Cat you buy will be a good machine.

Enjoy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts