Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am adding to a recent post about tunnel supports and am wondering if there are any cans available that are not
too loud as we can get ticketed in maine and nh where i ride and if they hinder reliablity at all

i already know the performace gains are limited but want a little meaner sound if its possible without hurting reliability

as last time any help is appreciated

·
Registered
500 Posts
i've looked in magazines such as dennis kirk and shadetree out of wisconsin when my dad was looking for one for his 2010 and i thought i rememer seeing some that were trail rated so i would think that they would give you a nice rumble without all the sound.... just an option i'm not positive on this but its worth taking a look at

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have heard alot of people running the d&d can suppose to give it a nice sound while keeping it legal, I have a mbrp can on my sled and it sounds awesome but it's pretty loud, the thing that sucks about the d&d one is it's huge like the stock one, alot of the other cans are quit smaller, not that you'll notice a difference in weight it just looks cleaner imo to have a smaller can. But in your case i would probably go with the d&d no other mods needed just put on and go. hope this helps thanks

·
Registered
192 Posts
i run a D&D on both my sleds and they sounds great, not overly loud, and i noticed al little stronger pull in performance on the 6900-7800 RPM range

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have one, just instaleld. It will be interesting to see how loud it is at full throttle, running it in the yard sounds great but you know it will be different out in the bush, time will tell.

BTW: There are no HP gains or losses with cans, ("From the master himself", Burandt)

·
Registered
78 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (heavyriffs @ Nov 19 2009, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have one, just instaleld. It will be interesting to see how loud it is at full throttle, running it in the yard sounds great but you know it will be different out in the bush, time will tell.

BTW: There are no HP gains or losses with cans, ("From the master himself", Burandt)[/b]

I had an MBRP can on my old sled (Firecat F6) and I grew to hate/love it, loved the sound/hated the headaches at the end of every ride. I would rather have something with a lower tone, a little bit louder than stock, no HP loss, & save some weight. Am I on the right track with Speedwerx or is it still quite loud? I have a 2010 Crossfire 8 SP.

I believe that Cans don't add HP but I found that I would lose top speed with a Can and gain acceleration & throttle response. Anybody agree?

·
Registered
2 Posts
im thinking about putting an mbrp or snow stuff on mine but not to sure witch one on want yet. but wondering if i would have to do any jeting upgrades

·
Registered
20 Posts
Has anyone had any experience with Bikeman Performance Products? From what I've heard they kick ass. There is a Powder Lite Muffler which is fairly loud and then a Lightweight Muffler that's fully baffled design gives a deep throaty sound without being too loud. Both of these mufflers are claimed to be dyno tested to make sure that they don't lose power like many other companies do with the glasspack style mufflers. Yesterday I ordered the Lightweight Muffler for my 09 Crossfire 800. Now all we need is some fricken snow!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zeblude @ Nov 18 2009, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i am adding to a recent post about tunnel supports and am wondering if there are any cans available that are not
too loud as we can get ticketed in maine and nh where i ride and if they hinder reliablity at all

i already know the performace gains are limited but want a little meaner sound if its possible without hurting reliability

as last time any help is appreciated[/b]
I have the same sled as you and I also live and ride in Maine. I have been doing some research on the subject and have decided to buy the skinz ultra Q silencer. It is supposed to give a nice deep sound to your sled without being to loud. It is also supposed to give a 3 hp gain. I don't know if I will gain hp but I like the sound which you can download from the skinz website. They claim it will be around 85 decibals, +/- 7 decibals. According to the law we aren't supposed to go over 78 decibals. The slp can is supposed to be a fairly quite can as well.

Good Luck

·
Registered
75 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rpierce1212 @ Nov 29 2009, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zeblude @ Nov 18 2009, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

as last time any help is appreciated[/b]
I have the same sled as you and I also live and ride in Maine. I have been doing some research on the subject and have decided to buy the skinz ultra Q silencer. It is supposed to give a nice deep sound to your sled without being to loud. It is also supposed to give a 3 hp gain. I don't know if I will gain hp but I like the sound which you can download from the skinz website. They claim it will be around 85 decibals, +/- 7 decibals. According to the law we aren't supposed to go over 78 decibals. The slp can is supposed to be a fairly quite can as well.

Good Luck
[/b][/quote]
you wont gain 3 hp just loose alot of weight.....i had that on my old zr 500 it wasnt laud but then again it was a 500 carb

·
Registered
691 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bkuku2 @ Dec 1 2009, 06:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
SLP pipe kit. All ceramic coated. Header pipe, chamber, and can. Best $600 you can spend on the sled IMO. had mine for a couple seasons now excellent. Holding up very well.[/b]
Did you add a fuel controller (Boondocker) or are you running the stock ECU? Any trouble with stuff melting under the hood from heat? Ever hold the sled at WOT for an extended period of time? (Like across a frozen lake?)

·
Registered
57 Posts
In response to 2smoke. Thanks for asking.

Boondocker
Yes I did get a boondocker controller. It is the best $400 decorative piece on the sled. Basically just hanging there because I can't think of anything else to do with it. The sled runs best just letting the ECU do it's job, IMHO. Any fuel added or taken away from anywhere but the idle - low speed the ECU, with the pipe temp and knock sensor, starts pulling timing or something and it runs funky. I did install EGT's to keep an eye on things. EGT temps before and after the pipe install are very close a lot of the time. Cruising speed, mid-range, just after valves actuate, 1350 or so 2" form the piston skirt, is the only real concern I have noticed. This will change depending on where the probes are located. I don't spend a lot of time in that range. As soon as you whack the gas or back off, the temps fall quickly. Try to pass through it or not hold it at a constant speed there. To sum it up I guess, if I had it to do over, forget the Boondocker. Install EGT's get a good idea of baseline temps with the stock pipe and see how the pipe kit differs from that. Premium fuel suggested strongly. I have ran mine on 87 because I had on choice a couple of times and it survived fine but EGT's did change. There is a noticeable difference. On my sled anyway. ECU and the timing thing again I believe.

Melting
Yes a few issues. The cold air intake duct above the pipe was an issue. I chose NOT to modify the pipe bumber for the sake of alignment with the header pipe. i think alot of guys forget that. Did not want any leaks. So I cut out the chunk that is not flat above the pipe that kinda stuck down. Riveted in a piece of thin gauge aluminum and smottherd the whole thing with reflective heat tape. Tweeked the exhaust valve cable a little for clearance. Again, heat tape installed. Fuel rail and connectors, heat tape again.

WOT Sweeps
From what I have seen with the EGT's, she really starts dumping fuel above 7500 or so. With that being said, I DO NOT LAKE RACE. I do the tree dodging thing in the woods around the UP of MI. I do spend a lot of time at WOT trenching making the 1.75 track work. Motor is loaded heavily most of the time. I have run it across Munising Bay close to 100 mph many times but never pinned to the bar. Always back of slightly and vary throtle position, with no ill effects other than the hyfax taking a hit sometimes. That is just what I do. The ol'ZR was for the lake racing but it is long gone. Sorta miss it from time to time.

Sory for being so wordy. I like to post being descriptive and not leaving things to vague. Afterall, we are here to share info and experiences with each other. Again, these are my opinions and works for me. I am happy with my setup. I am sure I will get nailed to the cross by somebody. Open to suggestions. Love the comments. Other than that, haters, go pound sand.

Bret

Attachments

·
Registered
691 Posts
bkuku2,

Thank you for your thorough and candid answer. I see you have an '07 CF, that's why I asked about the melting issues. My '09 came stock with much more heat reflective material than your sled because Cat knew heat was an issue even with the stock set-up. It sounds like the type of riding we do is very similar although I might add we do a lot of Suburban riding down here (cornfields and road crossings). Sounds like you have spent a lot of time with this set-up. I am strongly considering this set up also. Anybody else out there know anything about this SLP combo? Please tell us your opinion.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a Snostuff can and its almost unnoticable at idle but as soon as you grab a handfull it sounds awsome. I would definatly reccomend this can if you want one but dont want to piss every one off/get arrested.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
My SLP can is just over the stock noise level. Perfect for trails and ripping through the neighborhoods at night.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I like a sled with a nice sounding can, but I LOVE girls with a big set of cans!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ORDERED A D&D FOR MY NEW 2009 CF 1000,BECAUSE OF THE FIT AND THE SOUND ,I HAVE SEEN A FEW DIFFERENT OTHER SILENCERS AND CHOOSE TO GO WITH THE D&D SILENCER

1 - 19 of 19 Posts