Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have read a few things about these belts and was wondering if i could run them on my 03. i am lacking a few hundred rpm w/ my clutch kit. currently around 7600 and was wondering if this different belt would help correct it?? thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
According to the cat drive belt chart, the 020, 021, 031, and 035 belt are the same length and width, 47 3/4 plus/minus 3/16 inch by 1 13/32 inch wide, evidently difference is in the composition of the belts. 021 soft, 020 harder, 031 harder yet, have not tried an 035, maybe another member knows the difference. The 031 raised the operating rpms of my 03 by a couple hundred, I went back to the 020 for general riding.

·
Registered
0 Posts
ive heard that 021 belt CANT be used on a f-cat. Ive only heard people using 020 and 035 belts. The 020 is softer and the 035 is stiffer.

catattack57:
If the 031 raised ur rpm's it's either cus the 020 belt was more worn than the 031, or the 031 was slightly longer or wider. Did u hear all this from a dealer or who?? Im not trying 2 bash anybody here :chug: , but ive heard otherwise and if all the dimmensions r the same on the belts it shouldnt affect rpm.

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (catattack57 @ Feb 8 2007, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The 031 raised the operating rpms of my 03 by a couple hundred, I went back to the 020 for general riding.[/b]
I've ridden 031 for the last 2.5 years and changed over to 020 which has given me a bit of surprise on the Powerband. I'll experiment the 020 to see if it shorten the Belt's lifespan or not. I dunno

·
Registered
105 Posts
[attachment=63185:pICT0188__Small_.JPG]<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (03f5snopro @ Feb 8 2007, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
ive heard that 021 belt CANT be used on a f-cat. Ive only heard people using 020 and 035 belts. The 020 is softer and the 035 is stiffer.

catattack57:
If the 031 raised ur rpm's it's either cus the 020 belt was more worn than the 031, or the 031 was slightly longer or wider. Did u hear all this from a dealer or who?? Im not trying 2 bash anybody here :chug: , but ive heard otherwise and if all the dimmensions r the same on the belts it shouldnt affect rpm.[/b]
I don't mean to bash either, but I have belts in the garage that are older than you bud. I did not say you could use a 021 belt on a F7, but you can, very good belt for 500ft drag racing with the proper clutch set up. Wouldn't trail ride with one, but they work great for grass drags. Now, the 031 is a very hard belt, without clutching changes, it will run more rpms with the same clutch set up used with the 020, a softer belt will lower peak rpms as the clutches will get better grip. Now if my 020 was more worn than a new, wider, 031, my rpms would be lower because a worn belt will not let the clutches fully shift out, causing an over rev condition. I didn't hear it from a dealer or "who" , over 30 years of tuning and racing have taugt me a few lessons along the way, at least I think they have. In the pic, guess which sled is mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (catattack57 @ Feb 9 2007, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
[attachment=63185:pICT0188__Small_.JPG]<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (03f5snopro @ Feb 8 2007, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

catattack57:
If the 031 raised ur rpm's it's either cus the 020 belt was more worn than the 031, or the 031 was slightly longer or wider. Did u hear all this from a dealer or who?? Im not trying 2 bash anybody here :chug: , but ive heard otherwise and if all the dimmensions r the same on the belts it shouldnt affect rpm.[/b]
I don't mean to bash either, but I have belts in the garage that are older than you bud. I did not say you could use a 021 belt on a F7, but you can, very good belt for 500ft drag racing with the proper clutch set up. Wouldn't trail ride with one, but they work great for grass drags. Now, the 031 is a very hard belt, without clutching changes, it will run more rpms with the same clutch set up used with the 020, a softer belt will lower peak rpms as the clutches will get better grip. Now if my 020 was more worn than a new, wider, 031, my rpms would be lower because a worn belt will not let the clutches fully shift out, causing an over rev condition. I didn't hear it from a dealer or "who" , over 30 years of tuning and racing have taugt me a few lessons along the way, at least I think they have. In the pic, guess which sled is mine.
[/b][/quote]

k. thanks. so the 031 revs higher b/c it slips?

·
Registered
105 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (03f5snopro @ Feb 9 2007, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (catattack57 @ Feb 9 2007, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[attachment=63185:pICT0188__Small_.JPG]<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (03f5snopro @ Feb 8 2007, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

catattack57:
[/b][/quote]

k. thanks. so the 031 revs higher b/c it slips?
[/b][/quote]bingo!

·
Registered
0 Posts
How dus a worn belt not give u the same top speed as a new one? I understand the clutches dont shift all the way out but b/c of the narrower width wouldnt it sit just as far down?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts