Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, in a previous post I mention basically my clutch is screwed. Now, I have another one (same newer style 6 post) that someone gave to me because it's a little worn. Basically the movable sheave bushing took a sh#t and put it ****-eyed, and the weights wore into the spider (all three weights, even wear marks on all three sides. Now on my blown clutch, the spider is perfectly fine. So my question is, can I put the good spider in the good clutch or should I just run the worn spider. Will either one require re-balancing the clutch, or should it be ok?

Attachments

·
Registered
10,301 Posts
You should be able to align the dots or marks in the correct orientation to keep it in balance. You will need a grunt tool also and a torch and a good vise. I have done this several times and to be totally honest your far better off getting a new uncalibrated clutch off eBay from Kens or Cat deals, or Country Cat for the simple reason that if that is bad the rest will be sure to follow. Once one is broken Then the other side will need replacing or the bushing will go bad, it won't be long before your doing it all over again and then you have to consider the safety aspect of it along with the down time too. Your call though. For a trail sled save your self the madness and get an uncalibrated clutch.

If you do decide to do this check the spider wheels for excessive wobble. They should roll smoothly and not rock much or they are shot too. I always use spray graphite that dries to lube the clutch components.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya, I've got the tools to get her back together. Just to make it clear incase i wasn't, clutch "a" has the blown stationary shevr. I wasn't planning on using any of olit except the perfectly good spider. I plan on putting the spider in clutch "b", which is in perfect shape, except some small wear marks on the spider because of worn weight bushings. I'll be getting new weight rollers and buttons while I'm at it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts