Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All my buddies take there cars to the track(built 89 mustang, VW GTI running 13.02, Subaru STI, 13 second Hemi ram) and since my truck will never be a go fast truck, I want to see how much it would be to do a cheap asphalt setup for my 99 ZR 600... Now I know my motor isnt the best, but I will be rebuilding it this spring. As for mods, right now its just clutched and geared down. Im thinking id probably run just some twin pipes, lightweigth can, d and d airbox mod, and some v force 3`s and probably more, just have to do my research. I would most likely redo my clutching for straight line, I think im geared down enough, just cant remember what we put in it at the moment. Can you guys help me out with what i would need and what it would cost, as well as any thing else performance wise or any tips... I didnt do much research yet but i just got the idea and this is something I really want to do. I would to be able to see around low 13`s if possible...

Thanks in advance for any help... :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
186 Posts
You have a carb or EFI sled?????????? To go cheap (if you can call it that). Stick with a 15x121 track skis from Wahl of Black Magic. You could lower the suspension, and add a bunch of wheels to the rear skid you can get from Wahl Brothers or Hi-Performance Engingeering. I have an Arctic Cat Performance Manual with a setup for a 98 ZR600. If you have a carbed sled then here are there jetting specs. 290 mains @80 degrees and 1000' elevation Q0 Needle Jets, 6DH8 Jet Needles, and 45 Pilot Jets. If its a efi sled your going to have to buy a chip for it, or a boondockers control box not sure if they make one for that sled or not (someone chime please)......I would just take the air box out completely, no need for it. Clutching, use stock gearing possibly gearing up alittle not much though. 50.5 gram weights, Black/Purple drive spring (Black Magic) stock yellow secondary spring and 51 degree helix, motor starts at 7800 and should pull up to 8200-8300. I guess this is close to stock, this is what the manual says to use, im sure this is just a starting point. Dont forget your cool down. To start out this could cost anywahere from 1000-2000 dollars, whether you buy a used or new track and skis, and as far as mods go, i would leave it stock for a few races get a feel for it, and play with the clutching, then mod it, asphalt is fun to start playing with mods and such. This forum has alot of info for asphalt, do some searchs in here as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info... im gonna start keeping an eye out for used asphalt skis and things of that sort and just collect things as I go, then once I have everything ill let the wrenching begin.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts