Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got an 02 zr 800 efi cce,the plugs foiled out on me the other day they were black as can be.So i got new plugs,put them in and they just loaded up with fuel.Its has good spark so naturally it should fire up.So i turned off the key un did the tether switch,pushed in the kill switch and pulled it over till fuel stopped comeing out of the plug holes in the head.took about 30 pulls for the right side.then it still took 12-17 pulls to getting actually running and a hand on the throttle to really get it going as if it were carbed.then i rode it around and it bogs for a second on the low end like its overloaded with fuel and then takes off nice.Anyone have an answer please help.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Can an efi run rich? Ha! They all run PIG rich...that is why I only buy carb sleds!

For the cat EFI being so "accurate" on fuel delivery, you think the factory would be more comfortable mapping their fuel a little closer to what the engine actually needs.

Want proof...how many manuel compensation units are for sale for the cat efi????

Back to your question (sorry about the rant). Pull the cover off your airbox and check the air temp sensor for anything (cat tails, belt dust etc) on the sensor... Be VERY careful cleaning it.

Try that and report back...

Check the parts breakdown...

The temp sensor is held in by #32...

http://www.brownsleisureworld.com/frame.cg...orld.com/Parts/

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have the exact sled, and my plugs were getting real black and when I would start it up it would run like crap, how long since you cleaned your power valves? I cleaned mine and put new plugs in and it started on the first pull (which it has never done before). Otherwise turn your efi box over and start up your sled and see if the light turns on, and if it does record what it does and call a dealer, they should be able to know whats wrong with it by the flashes. Try spraying some starting fluid in it and if it starts and dies, you probably have a fuel pump problem.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yeah, they can and do run rich at times - depending on the model year. They use what, 6 sensors to determing fuel flow? TPS, ignition timing, water temp, barametric pressure, air temp, and...???? Each of these sensors has a tolerance level. So let's say that the tolerance is 5% from spec. If all sensors are 5% below spec in a way that would cause less fuel flow, the fuel mapping still has to be rich enough to compensate. It is a very "safe" calibration to lessen warranty issues. They run them a bit on the rich side, usually. When they have a lean calibration it usually causes more problems than rich.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well,i cleaned the powervalve which wuldn't even come out.and took out on a trail runs mint now.still alittle rich though.if it pukes another set of plugs in the next few rides i'll get a regulator i think.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Make sure the ethanol fuel plug is connected. If it is disconnected it richens it even more. It is meant to be disconnected when running gas with ethanol added. At the front of your computer there is two short wires that connect together.
Also if a sensor goes bad it will go into a 'safe' mode where the computer will richen it up even more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts