Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a brother with the 800 can am and he has just replaced his cvt drive belt and he thinks its about to dump on him again. Granted he is about as brutal on a machine as you can get, and i think his cvt snorkles are restricting flow causing his belt to get hot. But thats beside the point.

My question is, does anyone know of a way to strengthen the belt on this type of system? will a tighter sec spring and heavier flywieghts or something grab the belt tighter and give it more grip? And i read somewhere that the belt needs to be broken in, does it make that big of a difference?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Do you know if he spreaded his secondary to allow the belt to drop into it ?? If not that would cause his belt to not grab an it would feel like his loosing power , if the belt didnt drop into it then its no allowing the nut to grab the full threads on the shaft so if its not fully on it was slowly back off . It has happen to me twice an that was my problem after that its been good every since .

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
I watched a Canned Ham belt change on DirtTraxTv, MUCH different setup. They didn't spread anything apart, just turned it backwards by hand and it came right off. Turned it forward to put the new one back on.

·
Registered
923 Posts
their belt setups are different, they have a slip-n=grip belt setup similar to a brute force. at slow speeds the belt is basically slipping generating heat. and eventually wears a groove into the lower half of the clutch. then regardless of a belt change you always get belt slip. adding stiffer secondary springs or a stiffer primary spring only worsens this. adding belt tension only generates more heat and will cause even quicker belt wear.

tell him he should'a got a cat.

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (///AIRDAM @ Jan 18 2010, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
their belt setups are different, they have a slip-n=grip belt setup similar to a brute force. at slow speeds the belt is basically slipping generating heat. and eventually wears a groove into the lower half of the clutch. then regardless of a belt change you always get belt slip. adding stiffer secondary springs or a stiffer primary spring only worsens this. adding belt tension only generates more heat and will cause even quicker belt wear.

tell him he should'a got a cat.[/b]

Not worthy: Not worthy:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts