Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the stock clutch from my 95 zrt 800. The clutch was stuck closed when I bought it. I could get it open buy jamming a 2x4 in where the belt goes. But, as soon as I start it up (w/no belt on) and rev it to where I could see the clutch close it would never open back up. I have a new clutch on my sled now I was just wondering if I could rebuild the old one for a spare or is this one to far gone to rebuild?

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
I've heard of this happening before, but never seen it first hand... If the clutch bolt is overtightened way to much, the crank taper can stretch the tapered hole in the clutch shaft just enough to cause the clutch to stick.

I suppose it is possible, but as I said, never seen it. Others have claimed it actaully happened. Might be the explanation as to why yours is doing it? Or maybe the bushings on the moveable sheave are just super gummed up with crap & rubber dust?

If the spider, springs, weights bushings are toast... It's often easier and sometimes cheaper to just look for a good deal on a new one than it is to buy the parts and tools or to pay a dealer to rebuild it.

See if the weights are any good still. Don't bother saving the cover because the clutch is balanced as an assembled unit so using that cover on another clutch for the sake of getting the remaining bushing life out of it... There's a chance it will be out of balance.

If you see radial cracks on the sheaves near the shaft, toss it... The cracks mean it is a timed grenade with a pulled pin waiting for the moment.

:chug:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Mine is sticking closed. If you look at the middle where the cam arms are, one is prob stuck. I noticed i had flat spots and one arm binds up. If you gently tap the stuck arm, the clutch will release. And yes, have it rebuilt or replace. If it locks after a fast run, it can lock the track and kill the motor. Had it happen, not fun. And when it was stuck, it would not let me restart the motor untill it released.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts