Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

Can a 2000+ front suspension go on a 98/99?

3K views 25 replies 5 participants last post by  daver36 
#1 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong but the 98/99 ZR2 body still had the same front suspension travel and width as the 97? It wasn't until 2000 that it got wider and more travel. Will 2000+ arms etc. bolt right on or would it require modifications?

Thanks
Dave

#6 ·
Okay thanks guys. I've got my eye on a 98 ZR440 and just wondered about the differences in the front suspension. Sounds like it wouldn't be worth it. Also thinking about putting a TSL skid in my 95 Z440 (I have a spare that needs a bit of work but I think I can get it up and running) and I also have a complete front suspension from a 99 ZR700 that I think will go on with a bit of modification and give me the BPLT as opposed to the AGLT. I really l like the sled it just lacks a little in the suspension department.

Dave

#8 ·
The BPLT on that sled is pretty much a bolt in application, just like the AGLT. You'll just need though spacers like you do on the AGLT
I thought the bottom mounting holes on the a-arm had to be moved or something like that to correct the ski camber. I also just realized that sled doesn't have the AWS4 spindles. I have the AWS5 from the 99 but I don't know if they'll work. I guess I'll find out when I start playing with it when the season is officially over.

#13 ·
95's should have aws4 suspension

#15 ·
Yup. Same as mine. If you take arms off a 2000+ zr you will have the aglt but need the aluminum spindles off a tcat-zrt (97ish)

Attachments

#16 ·
Your suspension looks like this correct?

If so that's aws4

Sent from somewhere in MN

#18 ·
On the 97/98 Tcat/ZRT sleds IIRC. If you are gonna put the 2000+ arms on for the AGLT you will need the aluminum spindles from the Tcat/ZRT sleds.

#19 ·
These are the sleds with the correct aluminum spindles for AGLT

1997 ZR 580 EFI
1997 ZRT 800
1997 ZRT 600
1998 THUNDERCAT
1998 ZRT 800
1998 THUNDERCAT MC
1998 ZRT 600
1998 THUNDERCAT
1998 THUNDERCAT MC

#21 ·
'98/'99 is also considered AWS 5, however, in 2000+ they made the a arms and shocks longer (18" shocks vs 16.5" shocks), but still called it AWS 5. If you use '98-'99 AWS 5 shocks and a arms on your '95 you'll have the BPLT, but if you use 2000+ AWS 5 shocks and a arms, you'll have the AGLT.

#22 ·
Ok. I think I'm starting to get this. If I use the 99 AWS5 that I have with the straight tab where the tie rod attaches is that when I have to move the bottom mounting hole on the a-arm out a 1/4" or do they not work at all? What if I use 99 AWS5 with 97 spindles?

#23 ·
With 97 spindles no moving of mounting holes needed.

#24 ·
With the aws5 spindles you could move the lower a arm mounting hole but I'm not sure how much.

#26 ·
Ya, the '97 spindles still have to be hogged out. I don't think any AWS 5 spindles works without modifcation. The issue isn't the drop for the tierod, it's the location of the upper and lower bolts holes for the a arms in relation to each other. The AWS 5 will put to much of a negative or positive (not sure which one anymore) camber on the spindles and therefore the skiis.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.