Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the carbide runners on my two sleds. I searched but could not find how to calculate how much carbide I should have. I do mostly trail riding-nothing too excessive. Have to travel/cross some asphalt roads from time Here is what I have-

94 ZR580
Stock Steel skis (w/skins)
96 studs in track
Currently have 1/2" bar with 4 mounting studs

99 Tcat 900
Aftermarket plastic skis
192 studs in track
Currently have 3/8" bar with 4 mounting holes

Thanks!

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are the bars I took off. The two on top are off the Tcat. The carbides are really chipped. The single one is from the ZR580. You can see the carbide is still there and the steel bar is what has worn away. Almost half way thru the steel bar. :huh:

Can the top two with the chipped carbide still be used? Should I grind the front of the chip at an angle?

b

Attachments

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
The length of the carbide sections appears to be equal for both sets.
The unusual wear pattern is due to the longer steel skis.
Plastic skis tend to be shorter and have more of a "bow" to them [for reverse ease and easier steering].

Unless the steel skis are worn out, you can not use the shorter bars from the T-cat.

·
Registered
10,363 Posts
I run 7.5" Stud boy Shaper bars on my stuff and am very pleased. I have 192 pics in the T-cat and 189 in my 136" ZRT 800. I run them on both sleds and like them. No problems.

·
Registered
10,363 Posts
You can angle them with a grinder so they don't catch going forward or in reverse - if you have it. I really don't see any harm in running them if you do so. Your call. Just keep an eye on them.

If they where mine, I'd run em. Again, your call. :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can angle them with a grinder so they don't catch going forward or in reverse - if you have it. I really don't see any harm in running them if you do so. Your call. Just keep an eye on them.

If they where mine, I'd run em. Again, your call. :lol:

Thanks! Funds right now are tight so I will grind them a little since they still look plentiful with carbide. :)

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Found some StudBoy Switch Back runners with 6" carbide on 1/2" bar for $48 shipped off eBay. Could not seem to find them with the 6" carbide anywhere else-just 4".

All finished off, loaded back into trailer and stored for the next 167 days until snow (wishing). Thanks.

b

·
Registered
10,363 Posts
167 days! And I thought I was bad. LOL

·
Banned
1,274 Posts
Bergstrom ski pressure mod... another thing i will do with every sled i own from now on... 2 seasons with it done and i aint ever goin back . Lol

Im thinkin bout shaper bars for my rig.... hiws the life span?

·
Registered
10,363 Posts
Shapers, for the money.........ya can't beat them. Sure you can spend lots more, and maybe improve even more, but I'll stay with the Shapers thank you. They have lasted me along long time. This seems to be like the great oil debate.:lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts