Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should be picking up my xf7 tommorrow, and am wondering about what to do to this sled? I'm thinking handle bar riser, skid plate, simmons skis (already have the skis-just need cat saddles), what about hand guards?, whsld bag? other storage bags?, fuel cans? what about tuning? clutching, can you do the timing key thing? and what does this do power wise- any computer upgrades needed? thanks much for the info.
p.s. I will be ordering the cat tunnel supports and the 6.38" upper idler wheels.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I haven’t gotten my xfire yet but I do have an 04 f7sp and if your man riding is trail definitely get the Simmons ski saddles for AC as you probably already know they are awesome on groomed trails, I have also tried the timing key and didn’t see any difference other then in the pocked book, (you must run premium gas), but if you chose to do this upgrade anyway I would check with a formidable company like black magic or any other big name player, as for mine I have the bulls eyes and y-pipe and I did not have to up-grade any electronics. Hopes this helps a little.

·
Registered
636 Posts
just get on and ride. Then you know what you want. Mines bone stock and great. I may put a riser on it soon but i worry about bar height while sitting

·
Registered
228 Posts
Congratulations, and welcome! welcome call

I'd suggest getting the Fox Float guards for your front shocks. Apparently stones & crap thrown up at your sled can damage the shaft part of the Float shocks, and they will start leaking. These are just (overpriced) plastic guards that hose clamp over the lower portion of front shocks. Easy to install. I'd suggest starting at about 60 lbs for your Floats and go from there. I'm running about 58 lbs. and I think it would be impossible to bottom them out at that pressure. There's a chart with recommended starting pressure for your weight in the Fox manual that came with your sled.

I think I'd ride awhile before getting handlebar risers, the stock bars are quite high. For skis, I went with C&A Razors w/ 6" shapers (that's a lotta BITE compared to the stock skis I'm used to...), but I'm sure the Simmons will be great.

Even with stock bars, I'd suggest hand guards. I have them; this is the first sled I've had them on, and they really help keep your hands warm. You can wear very thin gloves with these (sometimes I ride now with NO gloves when it's warm out), which is a big help for better control.

Another hot item is the Bikeman aluminum belt deflection adjuster for your secondary; you should be able to find plenty of info. on this in other posts. Replaces that cheesy plastic piece that comes stock with the sled.

Tunnel supports and the larger upper idlers are "must haves" IMO.

Set your track tension at at least 1.5", mine really seemed to be binding up as it came from the factory (or dealer) ...too tight.

I got a set of the knee pads, and I'm glad I did. When you're riding hard, your knees seem to bang into the tank on a regular basis.

There's a ton of storage under the seat and in the rear storage area; windshield bags are sure nice for maps and other little stuff, though.

...and just ride. With about 150 miles on mine, it's already really starting to wake up. Some guys spend 100's of hours dinking with theirs, and I think the performance gains they get are minimal, unless getting that last 1/10th of a MPH out of it at WOT on the lake is what you're after. I was expecting so-so performance out of this thing compared to my F7, but I'm really impressed so far. The power, ride, and handling of this sled far exceeds my expectations. After reading about many '07 owners who are not exactly jumping up and down about the performance of their sleds, I'm really, really happy to have the proven 700 motor in mine, thank you. Hope you enjoy yours! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
50 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (electricman @ Feb 11 2007, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I should be picking up my xf7 tommorrow, and am wondering about what to do to this sled? I'm thinking handle bar riser, skid plate, simmons skis (already have the skis-just need cat saddles), what about hand guards?, whsld bag? other storage bags?, fuel cans? what about tuning? clutching, can you do the timing key thing? and what does this do power wise- any computer upgrades needed? thanks much for the info.
p.s. I will be ordering the cat tunnel supports and the 6.38" upper idler wheels.[/b]

For the skid plate, check out Skinz float plates, they're nice
For hand gaurds, I like the acerbis. They make alot of different styles
cat makes a good winsheild bag, they don't fly around like all the other cheap ones
other storage bags, again, skinz makes alot
Too look at the skins stuff this site has quite a bit. www.sledsolutions.com
For secondary clutching the best thing I ever did was buy the rk tech helix.
Made a world of difference, the clutch ingages faster and the backshift is amazing.
To be honest with you. polaris makes a fuel can for the new rmk iq style or dragon style sled
and it fits like a glove in the existing stock rack.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Here's some pictures of mine.
I put some snow eliminators in my sisters crossfire and they act as stiffeners as well
they also allow the snow to go through the running board way better than the stock holes
and you dont get all the crazy ice buildup

And here's a picture of my bar setup.

Here's a list of whats done to my sled.

2005 m7 LE 153"

AFTERMARKET LIST
Cold Fusion Nitrous
NPP gold series can
Sled Junky drop brakets
SnoStuff Ridge Sheild
Camo Challenger
Fox Zero Pro Shocks
Monster Decal Kit
Snow Eliminators
Powermadd 6in riser
Snopro bars
Fly pivot
Rev mountain bar

Attachments

·
Registered
428 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (electricman @ Feb 11 2007, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
p.s. I will be ordering the cat tunnel supports and the 6.38" upper idler wheels.[/b]
-get the center shock revalved. You can do it before you even ride it. Trust me, it will need it.
-get the shift assist and a stiffer spring in the secondary. Goodwin blue or Cat orange. Huge performance gains, and much better backshift, for not a lot of money.
-I have the Cat windshield bags and rear storage bag. both are a must, IMO
-stock skis are fine if you are mostly going to trail ride. If you are going to ride off-trail a lot, then better skis are a must. Don't listen to the people who claim that you need a better ski to turn on trail...they just don't understand how to set up their suspension for good handling. If you stay with stock skis, get the Shaper bars.

·
Registered
50 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DamageInc @ Feb 10 2008, 11:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (electricman @ Feb 11 2007, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
-get the center shock revalved. You can do it before you even ride it. Trust me, it will need it.
-get the shift assist and a stiffer spring in the secondary. Goodwin blue or Cat orange. Huge performance gains, and much better backshift, for not a lot of money.
-I have the Cat windshield bags and rear storage bag. both are a must, IMO
-stock skis are fine if you are mostly going to trail ride. If you are going to ride off-trail a lot, then better skis are a must. Don't listen to the people who claim that you need a better ski to turn on trail...they just don't understand how to set up their suspension for good handling. If you stay with stock skis, get the Shaper bars.
[/b][/quote]

the goodwin blue or cat orange spring. Would this work on an M series with the stock helix as well?

·
Registered
121 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DamageInc @ Feb 11 2008, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (electricman @ Feb 11 2007, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]

Damage...

He's buying a Sno Pro XF 7, are you saying the Sno Pro center shock should be revalved??? I've seen many references to revalving the NON-SNO-PRO center shock to Sno Pro specs, but not much about re-valving the Sno Pro Skid....

Just checking..... in case I've missed something....

·
Registered
154 Posts
all depends what you do with it. I added the following to my 06 xf 700.
-6inch fly billet risers
-fly freeride bars
-cut down flyscreen windshield
-tunnel stiffeners
-136x2 inch paddle
-geared down to 57-63
-revalved all my shocks and changed springs out, sno pro race spec valving
-v force reeds
-BB can

My sled never sees trails. it sees backcountry and jumps, and it's setup reflects that.

Attachments

·
Registered
428 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ArcticFamily @ Feb 11 2008, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DamageInc @ Feb 11 2008, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]

Damage...

He's buying a Sno Pro XF 7, are you saying the Sno Pro center shock should be revalved??? I've seen many references to revalving the NON-SNO-PRO center shock to Sno Pro specs, but not much about re-valving the Sno Pro Skid....

Just checking..... in case I've missed something....
[/b][/quote]

The SnoPro center shocks were valved pretty soft, too (not just the standard). If you ride it real easy all the time, it would probably not bottom real often, but if someone buys a SnoPro, they are probably going to ride it hard, and it's too soft for that.

·
Registered
428 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (--Ryan?* @ Feb 11 2008, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
the goodwin blue or cat orange spring. Would this work on an M series with the stock helix as well?[/b]
I don't know how well it would work; I don't have an M. Donno could probably tell ya....

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DamageInc @ Feb 12 2008, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The SnoPro center shocks were valved pretty soft, too (not just the standard). If you ride it real easy all the time, it would probably not bottom real often, but if someone buys a SnoPro, they are probably going to ride it hard, and it's too soft for that.[/b]
I think you're correct since I weigh at 300 lbs. and have experienced bottoming-out on my new sled maybe 3 or 4 times out of my 340 miles total on the rough trails, but for the most part....It rode extremely nice. :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts