Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a base and crank this weekend for 200 bucks.It was all assemb. with a broken piston.I split the casing and found 1 broken seal ring.Can I just reassembel the thing or do I have to have a new ring installed?

·
Registered
727 Posts
You need to change the seal ring between the case sections. If you don't you won't have any case vacuum or pressure and both cylinders won't run on either side of the missing ring.

BP

·
Banned
2,108 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Big ***** @ Nov 28 2009, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You need to change the seal ring between the case sections. If you don't you won't have any case vacuum or pressure and both cylinders won't run on either side of the missing ring.

BP[/b]

Now the bad news, the crank has to come apart to change the ring.
The journal of the crank is to large and the ring will not open large enough without breaking
to get it where it needs to be.
Just send the crank with a new seal ring to Northern Crankshaft and now you have a good excuse to have it trued and welded.
It will cost you around $200 bucks to have the ring put on and have it trued and welded.
Mike

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good news is I called Northern crank and talked to the tech there.He asked about the perpose of the sled, race, trail? Its just a trail sled.He said he would send me 2 seal rings for the 100 twin.There not cast iron and can be installed without seperating the crank.This is the second motor I have seen with a broken ring.Both times the seal on the end of the bal shaft was pushed out of the case.

·
Banned
2,108 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bikeme2001 @ Nov 29 2009, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Good news is I called Northern crank and talked to the tech there.He asked about the perpose of the sled, race, trail? Its just a trail sled.He said he would send me 2 seal rings for the 100 twin.There not cast iron and can be installed without seperating the crank.This is the second motor I have seen with a broken ring.Both times the seal on the end of the bal shaft was pushed out of the case.[/b]
They only get broke during handling, When ever you set the crank in the case half make sure you are looking at the seal ring gaps.
It is when the ring gaps are at the side, they hang up on the case as they compress when you are installing it in the case half and that is when they break.
Mike

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wanted to bump this one about the seal ring.you can use 2 900 twin seal rings in place of one ring as the twin rings are made of steel and can be installed with seperating the crank.The stock tripple rings are cast iron.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wanted to bump this one about the seal ring.you can use 2 900 twin seal rings in place of one ring as the twin rings are made of steel and can be installed with seperating the crank.The stock tripple rings are cast iron.
How did this work out?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
twatermelon
Arctic Cat Forum
Arctic Cat forum is a community to discuss Arctic Cat 400, 440, 500, 650, snowmobiles, sleds, ATV's and more. Join the fun!
Full Forum Listing