Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have used aluminum several times. Take two pieces of thin aluminum sheet, cut it into the shape of the hood tab and hinge piece, place a piece of aluminum on either side of the tab - hinge, drill a few holes through both plastic and aluminum, and rivet together. There is usually enough slop in the hinge to get the aluminum on either side of the plastic hinge. Make sure that you make the aluminum pieces so the hinge pin goes through them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The issue with the aluminum fix is that you are degrading the "base" material, by having to drill holes through the plastic tab. I didn't think that fiberglass would work, but if I have to do another, I'm going to take tcat's advice and try the fiberglass first to keep as much original material as possible.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm not sure how you are using the JB Weld as you described it, are you going to make a whole new piece out of it? JB would be a good material to use, as you could form it to make a new piece, and is durable enough, but then you would have to attach it the hood somehow.

When I fixed mine, I removed the hood, glued the pieces back together, so the alignment was correct, and then cut two pieces of aluminum in the shape of the re-joined tab; one for either side of the tab, pinned the aluminum to the tab and re-attached the hood. I did have to clearance the lower hinge piece a little bit on the second one that I did due to the increased width of the tab. It was fortunate that there was sufficient tab left on the hood side to attach the aluminum to, but I figured that if the tab broke off the hood completely, that I could make two new pieces of aluminum that would be larger at the hood area, and rivet to the hood. The rivet heads would be showing, but it would have worked.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts