Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Never had a problem unless you don't rough up the hood for the fiberglass to stick to. Never tried the aluminum but sounds like it might work as well. Not as messy for sure.
I was thinking I might try JB Weld. I would make a removable backing mold (with a plastic yogurt/margarine lid) so that the JB Weld would have something to shape to. Thoughts? JB Weld is pretty hard and durable... maybe fiberglass and resin would be a better choice.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Today, we tried using fiberglass resin, hardener and cloth. I think the resin was old (or the garage was too cold) as the concoction mix didn't harden at all (maybe it needs a little blue pill 🤪)... I scraped off the uncured material and back to square one. Maybe a piece of sheet metal pop riveted to the remaining tab surface? JB Weld "Plastic Bonder" or Permatex "Plastic Welder"?

Right tab:
Road surface Wood Asphalt Tar Road

Left tab:
Road surface Grey Asphalt Wood Tar

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You likely have both. Too low a temp and old resin and hardener. Been there done that. I have used a hair dryer in the past.
I had an infrared overhead heater about three feet above my hood, so I think it might have been warm enough (the hood was warm to the touch). I'm thinking it was old resin (I had it in the garage, it is 8-10 years old), the hardener I bought yesterday.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts