Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my sled running after the ignition problem. I had it up on a stand about mid throttle and all of the sudden BOOM the belt snapped straight across at one point. Is this normal if the belt is old or do I need to look for clutch problems?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
my opinion, she was just old. does it look like it broke at a seam?

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Kevlar belts rarely do that. They will shred instead due to the strength of the kevlar in them. But, cheap/old belts used way back in the time of no power sleds did break like that or they burned up when under power and slipping. They were usually just cheap belts.

Do you have the markings on the belt to post ? If so post them and we can see what kind of a belt it was. Maybe that would help. Otherwise just slap a new one on.

Steve

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kevlar belts rarely do that. They will shred instead due to the strength of the kevlar in them. But, cheap/old belts used way back in the time of no power sleds did break like that or they burned up when under power and slipping. They were usually just cheap belts.

Do you have the markings on the belt to post ? If so post them and we can see what kind of a belt it was. Maybe that would help. Otherwise just slap a new one on.

Steve
Here are some pics let me know if they are enough info.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Nope that looks like just a regular old cheap belt. Old style flat top non cog belt. There's some on ebay right now from Carlisle (Ultimax) but you can use anything on that low power machine.

Steve

·
Registered
335 Posts
Nope that looks like just a regular old cheap belt. Old style flat top non cog belt. There's some on ebay right now from Carlisle (Ultimax) but you can use anything on that low power machine.
agreed, that belt served its time.

with these older sleds, specifically my 71 puma 340 duster clutch, is there any gain running certain belts over others or is there not enough power to make a difference?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just looked up the OEM belt number on browns and it says I should have a 0627-006 the one I busted is a 0627-004. Weird thing I noticed is that with my clutch newly rebuilt and that wrong belt number it ran really fast. Maybe out of curiosity I'll have to look up the specs and see the difference. Its probably 1/8th inch width difference or something.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts