Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a post on here about having one broke CV axle and taking the other side out to get the broke piece out. What do I do if both sides are broken off in the diff? It’s a 2003 Arctic Cat 400 TIA

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
Now that may take a bit of thought. Never had a diff apart but if splines go completely through ring gear I would think that you could punch from one side and push them out the other. Someone else will have to pipe in if they know about the splines. Now if they don't it will be more work. I have an arc welder so I would zap a rod onto stub. This would only work if C clip holding that stub in is not seized up and rod holds on to pull it out. Now I've never done this so I'm not sure if results are favourable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
660catman. I thought about welding it but I’d hate for a bb to get stuck in one of the splines. If you reckon welding it would be alright then I’d give it a shot. That beats taking my diff apart

·
Registered
38 Posts
Soak the innards in a mixture of ATF and acetone 50/50. Let it soak for a day.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,006 Posts
im thinking you should be able to pound them through as the rear diff is locked so the splines on both sides should be lined up. Other than that i would pull the diff and split it and get it out... Now the big question.... how did you brake 2 axles on a 400 i did not think they had enough in em to snap a axle

1 - 5 of 5 Posts