Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 650 v2 and want brighter bulbs than the factory 27 watt. Any way I went to autozone and bought sylvania 886's they are 50 watt buls. I noticed that the tips don't have that stuff on them like the factory bulbs ( almost like a coat of paint on the tip) Is this for heat protection? If my bulbs don't have that protective coating can they melt the plastic lens cover?

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sevenmag @ Feb 17 2007, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have an 06 650 v2 and want brighter bulbs than the factory 27 watt. Any way I went to autozone and bought sylvania 886's they are 50 watt buls. I noticed that the tips don't have that stuff on them like the factory bulbs ( almost like a coat of paint on the tip) Is this for heat protection? If my bulbs don't have that protective coating can they melt the plastic lens cover?[/b]
I would say that the coating on the OEM bulbs is to reflect the light back to the lens for better beam spread. The lack of the coating is not likely to melt the lens. The fact of replacing all four lamps with lamps nearly double the wattage could be a different story. The other possible issue is the extra load on the electrical system. If you've replaced all four lamps with 50 watt bulbs, that very nearly doubles the load while using high beams. With just the head lamps on high beam and no other loads, you're at 16.7 amps on a system with a 25 amp (max) alternator. Throw in an 8 watt tail light, a cooling fan, ingnition, and any other electrical stuff on your rig and it would be easy to be well over what the charging system can power without draining the battery. Just my my2cents

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only replaced the 2 low beam lights. How do you know what amps are being drawn by what accessories? Also went to my dealer today to have him order the 275 cca battery in the 07 accessories catalog. I thought that would help. I definately don't want to drain my battery or screw up my charging system.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sevenmag @ Feb 17 2007, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I only replaced the 2 low beam lights. How do you know what amps are being drawn by what accessories? Also went to my dealer today to have him order the 275 cca battery in the 07 accessories catalog. I thought that would help. I definately don't want to drain my battery or screw up my charging system.[/b]
That helps a bit with both the current draw and heating of the lens. Upsizing the battery will help in the short term but, if you are using more power than is being generated by the charging system, you will still discharge the battery. I would keep an eye on the lens the first few times you use high beams for any long period of time. The only way to know for sure what an acc. is using is to measure it with a good ammeter. Based on how the headlamp circuit is loaded, it looks like Cat is only using about 45% or less of the circuit's rating. In any case, unless the added heat from the bigger lamps actually melts the lamp housing, you are not likely to cause any permanent damage to either the battery or charging system. In fact, if after changing the bulbs you now generally use low beams rather then high, you have an 8 watt savings. It should be OK but, like most things, there are too many variables to give an absolute yes or no answer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.