Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 650's a bit of a dog, was contemplating trading it in for something bigger, instead decided to upgrade.

Like I said in my intro thread, I don't expect to win any races against the bigger bore quads, but I don't want to be left miles behind either. Why not just buy a bigger quad? It was tempting, and I was close to pulling the trigger on a couple different ones, but I could not justify the cost. Given the low trade in value of my machine and my inherent "frugality" ( I don't like to say cheap), upgrading what I have seemed to be more cost effective.

I started this thread so that I can layout my plan for modifications and hopefully get some input from people who have been down this route in the past. I've been through several of the threads by people that have done similar work to their machines (GWC), but you can only glean so much from reading and their doesn't seem to be much for current info. Has much changed in the industry? Are there better options?

My upgrades so far:
-Carb slide mod
-27" ITP Mud-lites

Yah, that's all.

Planned mods in the order they will happen:
-Airdam Stages 1-5+ as well as lightened rollers (or whatever he recomends for the rollers)
-Drilled stock exhaust mod
-700bbk from Speedwerx
-11:1 piston
-3 angle grind and porting/polishing (done locally)
-Speedwerx or web cam
-Mud Pro snorkel system
-rejet carbs to match above work

Optional mods:
-750bbk if I can find a 700 jug for a reasonable price
-40mm carb if the 36 can't keep up
-complete exhaust system
-wet clutch delete? maybe next year

Now, question time.

If a local machinist can do the work, should I have them punch out the cylinder or would you recommend having a shop like Speedwerx do the work seeing as they are experienced with these engines.

While I understand the principal of how cams work, I'm not an expert and the grind info, lap/overlap etc etc. don't mean much to me. So are there better options then what I've listed? Which one gives more bottom end? Which more top end? Are there other companies I should be looking at? Am I throwing away money on some of this? Or am I missing some key parts?

I know this is kind of long, so thanks to anyone that has stuck with it and read through this mess. Hope to get some useful feedback!

·
Administrator
42,240 Posts
Look up posts by sanny651 he built a killer 650 motor. Web cams and others are good to contact for info. Please post this build along with results!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, I'll definitely post up as I make progress. I'm currently waiting for someone to pickup a few parts in Calgary before I can get started :lol:

·
Registered
664 Posts
I thought Sanny only built the 650 V2 (Kawi) motor?

·
Administrator
42,240 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Has anyone had experience with the Web Cams 462 grind for a 700 engine? I'm going to give them a call today and see how it compares to the 417. The description says "Performance profile designed to increase overall performance. Must use higher compression piston and / or larger displacement engine."

I'll have to see if the 11:1 compression piston is a high enough to run with this.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got off the phone with Web Cam.

For the a 650 to 700 bbk with the 11:1 compression they recommend going with the 462 grind camshaft.

They couldn't say how they compare to the Speedwerx grinds, but apparently Web manufactures them for Speedwerx, was not aware of that.

·
Administrator
42,240 Posts
I think it will be cheaper in the long run to look around. Get your machine work done locally if you can. Search other manufacturers of the bbk. Ill see if I can dig up some names for you.

Reactions: Brougham

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've always assumed that going from 650 to 700 was just a matter of boring out the existing cylinder. Does anyone know if this is this the case or does it have to be re-sleeved ?

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
skip the stage 5 and go wetclutch delete

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
skip the stage 5 and go wetclutch delete
I'm seriously tempted to do this, but it's just a little too much money for this year if I'm going to do all the engine work.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In case anybody is wondering why I don't want much downtime with my quad, it's because my main snow moving machine looks like this...

So my quad is currently doing this...

·
Administrator
42,240 Posts
Yep a real canadian prairie driveway lol

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, someone (doorfx) came up with a 700 cylinder for a reasonable price, so it looks like I'll be going the 750bbk route.

I've talked to Marshall at Campbell enterprises and we''l be doing the 750 bore with a 11.5:1 compression piston.

Now I need to figure out a cam. I was hoping not to have to change valve springs, so I'm not sure if I'll use the Web Cams 417 or 462 grind cam shaft. Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
42,240 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Checked with Web Cams today, you can run both the 417 and 462 grind cams on stock springs.

Reactions: doorfx

·
Administrator
42,240 Posts
So are you going to have to run av gas , race fuel or 91 octane enough?
How about a 5 degree timing key?

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.