Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bang your head I have a 95' zrt 800, last year I was hearing thumping when I hooked up hard. I thought it was the track hitting the tunnel so I tightened the track. Soon after I was hole shoting and the chain snapped appart. I installed another used chain and sprockets,they were thumping also. I took them back out and the chain and sprocket is damaged allready. Someone sugested maybe jack shaft bearing causing it. What do you think?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Check you speedo side bearing those are comon to go out if it doesnt get greased! Sounds like a loose or miss aligned jack shaft to me but im no cat tech JMO

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm really impressed with the quick replies,and expert advice. I was just out looking it all over, I think that the clutch side jack bearing feels a little sloppy. I can wiggle the secondary just a little by lifting up and down on it. Is that normal or should it be rock solid? I also watched the secondary as I rotated it, there is a very slight untrueness when it is rotated,could this be a slightly bent jack shaft? Not worthy:

·
Banned
2,108 Posts
Where in Mich are you??
I am south of Detroit.

The problem is that the 1995 ZRT 800 didn't have a bolt tensioner adjuster in it.
All it has is the two rollers with the little spring that joins between them (useless).
If your sled is studded your chain will always break as it keeps jumping teeth on the sprockets.

What you need to do is take and drill and tap the chaincase where the adjustment bolt should go.
Replace the front roller with one that has the piece of metal welded to it for the adjustment bolt to push against.
I have converted a lot of them and have a bunch of parts laying around that you would need for the conversion
if you are interested.

The picture below is how you need to set yours up

Mike

Attachments

·
Banned
2,108 Posts
I also have a bunch of used gears and chains for that sled also if you need some more.
Mike
734 777 6200 cell

1 - 7 of 7 Posts