Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I probably have old mud in my front brakes or something because at low speeds I get a squeel. Is there anyting thing out there thats a cheap and easy way to make it stop? Thanks for any info.
GOT MUD?

·
Registered
723 Posts
I get the same thing. I have had this since the first ride. I get it after i clean the quad. I have taken brake cleaner and sprayed the brakes real good to clean off the rotors and it helps a bit. Believe it or not the best I have used is WD 40. just a tad around the boots eliminates it. Does not affect the braking at all. Not sure why this keeps happening. I initally thought it was the purple power I was using to clean the bike. i figured the degreasing agent was doing it. Not quite sure.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I had the same problem...I washed the mud and crap out of the brakes wuith a high-pressure hose and then let it dry real good. Then take some BrakeClean and spray it in the gap between the pad and the disc....put it up on a lft and spin the wheel, spraying the entire rotor-disc area. It has worked well for me...Good Luck!!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had this issue too, I went with the WD route. I check after a few more rides (about 500m or so) and notice it was almost metal to metal. I am not sure of the quality of the stock pads, but it was very easy to change out. My dealer (if you want to call him that) gave me an upgraded pad (severe duty). Good luck...its hard to think with all of that squeeling....

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (muddfly @ Jan 12 2007, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I get the same thing. I have had this since the first ride. I get it after i clean the quad. I have taken brake cleaner and sprayed the brakes real good to clean off the rotors and it helps a bit. Believe it or not the best I have used is WD 40. just a tad around the boots eliminates it. Does not affect the braking at all. Not sure why this keeps happening. I initially thought it was the purple power I was using to clean the bike. i figured the degreasing agent was doing it. Not quite sure.[/b]
Thanks guys Ill first try brake cleaner and if that does not work then the old wd 40. I know WD will eventually evaporate RB

·
Registered
59 Posts
Had the same thing.
It's not the cheapest but I bought some EBC pads. The SV series are long lasting brake pads for use in farm, utility, and severe conditions of use of wet, mud, clay etc.
No more squeling.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Not for nothing...but isn't WD-40 a LUBRICANT?????....and won't it screw up your stopping power as the brake pads slide nicely over the well lubricated rotor???????? I dunno

·
Registered
321 Posts
I also get that same problem. I usually just pull the tires then take off the caliper and clean everything. There's always crap in there, but it's easy to clean. A bit of a pain in the a$$ though.

·
Registered
170 Posts
what works well for me is , if you can drive through a body of water that comes up past your tires. I usually drive through fairly fast. This has worked every time i have tried it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts