Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 500 and have since purchased 2 more cats. A 2006 400 and 2007 700. I noticed right away the improvement in the brake system and was wondering what I need to change on my 2004 to get the same performance?
Do I need to change the Master cylinder or the calipers or both?

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
the foot brake in 04 has a resevor built in right behind the plastic or in back of the foot lever, while the 05's and newer have a seperate resevor runed up to underneith the seat. i believe that the calapers were not the problem from the different years. until someone with more experience comes along i recommend cross referencing parts on alphasports.com or http://www.arcticcatonlineparts.com/parts-browse.asp from the 04 to the 06/07. by the way make sure that the brakes were/are burnished correctly. my wifes 04 had not so responsive brakes when we first got it but my dealer said that he burnished them a bit but for me to do a few more times, definately alot better after that. look it up in you owners manual for ac's "proper" instructions on how to do it.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
On my 03 I upgraded top the 05 floating caliphers and noticed a big difference. I haven't tried swapping the master cylinder from the 05 to the 03 yet to see if that makes a difference. As far as the foot brake, my 05 works great and the 03 is junk, but I rairly use it so it's not worth the $$ to upgrade it IMO.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have to agree the foot brake has been junk from day one on my 04. At best it would only slow down the machine.
Thanks for your info. I think I will start by replacing the calipers.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
The master cylinder on the handle bars is much better than the older ones. I think they move more fluid.

~Fast

1 - 7 of 7 Posts