Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, and happy easter. I have been reading past post regarding brakes. My brakes on the first pull of the lever are approx one half inch from the bars, on the second pull they are about half way. I have checked the run out on the rotors and found the rear one has a slight bit of runout. I just replaced all the pads. I hear everyone talk about burnishing them, How do you do this? Do you think the rotor is causing my poor brakes? or should I try bleeding them. I know how to do car brakes,do I bleed these the same way,ie pump them up crack the bleeder screw,close it when handle gets to the handlebar,and do the same again. thanx and my quad is a 03,4x4,500

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
burnishing them consist of getting up to speed and holding steady pressure on the brake until just about stopped. do this several times basically to get heat into the pad and getting the pad wore to your rotor.
your correct on the bleeding process, might be worth trying to get rid of your double pump symtoms.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Hydraulic braking systems are basically the same on any type of vehicle. If your brakes feel spongy or do not react with sufficient stopping power, it would likely be either worn components (pads/shoes/rotors/drums) or loss of fluid/air in the system. If you visually inspected the brake components and all is well, check your fluid level, add if necessary then bleed the brakes.

Scott1981 - Do you repeatedly have to double pump the brake lever after leaving the machine sit or just the first brake application? It sounds like you could possibly have either a minute amount of air in the system or possibly the brake lever plunger/piston might not be making full travel on the first pull (sticking).

·
Registered
434 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Borat @ Apr 8 2007, 08:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hydraulic braking systems are basically the same on any type of vehicle. If your brakes feel spongy or do not react with sufficient stopping power, it would likely be either worn components (pads/shoes/rotors/drums) or loss of fluid/air in the system. If you visually inspected the brake components and all is well, check your fluid level, add if necessary then bleed the brakes.

Scott1981 - Do you repeatedly have to double pump the brake lever after leaving the machine sit or just the first brake application? It sounds like you could possibly have either a minute amount of air in the system or possibly the brake lever plunger/piston might not be making full travel on the first pull (sticking).[/b]

Actually just noticed it for the first time the other day. I do leave it with the parking brake on so I guess it is bleeding down. AC has the bike right now so I will call that in tuesday and see if they can look at it. Thanks

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
both my machines do the parking brake bleed down thing, good for around 4-6 hours then it's down where not much pressure holding it. don't have to double pump them to stop though the wife's 04 is alot closer to the bars compaired to my 05 that is right there when you grab it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
This may sound odd but check your wheel bearing. I had a bad bearing allowing the disk to have excessive movement pushing the pads and piston in. The result was it took a couple of brake lever pumps to get the piston out again. Drove me crazy for a while. I put new pads on it bled the brakes and no good until I found the bad bearing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.