Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone else is having issues with the brake light switches? I have an 05/500. It started with the left handle brake switch acting intermittantly. Sprayed it with wd worked for a few weeks and now not at all so no brake light. Now the switch for the rear aux brake keeps falling out so the brake light is on all the time. Anyone else running into these issues. Anyone know if there are fixes or aftermarket replacements?

WC

·
Administrator
7,990 Posts
Sometimes the brake light stays on on our 05 500. It was the foot operated one, I just cut one of the two wires that go to it. The brake light only comes on when handle bar lever is pulled. On my 03 500 I removed the foot pedal, cable and caliper, cut the wire, its now about 5 lbs lighter. And it still works as good as it did before (auxillary brakes on 03's are totally worthless)
Sounds like you need a new switch on top, just cut one of the lower wires or find where it goes and unplug it (foot)

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Your foot brake issue may be as simple as the return spring being stretched out. If it's weak/stretched, then it will let the foot pedal sag a bit, thus engaging the brake light switch. Could be a 50cent...sorry...fitty cent...fix from your local hardware store.

As for the front, likly just a bad switch.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I am gonna have to fix mine too, got tagged pretty hard this weekend because it was not working

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but I've yet to find a decent thread indicating how this switch is replaced.

I've been having touble with mine and I tried to take it out. It looks like there's a plastic tab on the bottom of the brake lever to remove the switch but either I didn't push hard enough, or it doesn't come out.

Once the switch is out does it just disconnect from the wires, or is it an entire wire and switch assembly?

BTW, I can start my Cat in gear but only with the foot brake. It starts in neutral with no brake, and with the hand lever brake I also don't get a brake light over and above not starting.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
This has been a tough one to get info on! I dunno

1 - 7 of 7 Posts