Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 zr600 efi. i was riding it across the lake and when i let off the gas it seems like it slows down fast and sounds like the brake is on.(that "squealing" noise you sometimes get when hitting the brakes) Has anyone had this happen to them? is it normal? how do you fix it?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
speedo still works and i greased everything up. i think it was happening last year too. and everything looked good this fall when i put a new track on it

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm having the same issue on my 99 t-cat. Hoping to get a little help on this. I noticed that my sled doesn't really move if you were to push it but after a few hours in the trail it seemed to free up and start going backwards while stopped at the top of a hill. Then when I got home it seemed to be locked up again.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quisty09 @ Dec 22 2009, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have a 2000 zr600 efi. i was riding it across the lake and when i let off the gas it seems like it slows down fast and sounds like the brake is on.(that "squealing" noise you sometimes get when hitting the brakes) Has anyone had this happen to them? is it normal? how do you fix it?[/b]
Was there plenty of snow on the lake. Last year while ridding accross the Saginaw Bay and there was not much snow to lube the slides, they got so hot that when I let off the throttle I just about went over the windshield. They need lots of snow to lube and cool them. If your concerned about your brakes, take the caliper off and pump the brakes real easy until the piston comes out of the caliper. Take some fine steel wool and clean the piston and put it back in the caliper and squeeze it back with a C-clamp. I do mine every season, only takes a 1/2 hour or so. Make sure the area where the piston goes back in is full of brake fluid. Ron.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
It will get very hot too. Good way to check if that's the problem, but don't burn yourself. It can get hot enough to melt things.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Not sure if you have the slide bushings on your caliper, I have them on my T-cat and they have stuck before. I removed the bushings from the calipers, polished them up on a bench grinder with a wire wheel on it and luber them with SIL-GLYDE and havent had any problems since.

MY .03536 cents worth.

·
Registered
154 Posts
you can replace the piston o-ring and hone the caliper cylinder, had to do that w/ mine and it still stuck. Then w/ the advice of chat members took the brake fluid reservoir assembly off and cleaned thoroughly filled back up bled air out and refilled to the line( do not overfill ) all was fine after and still is.

·
Registered
754 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (illinitcat @ Dec 23 2009, 08:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
you can replace the piston o-ring and hone the caliper cylinder, had to do that w/ mine and it still stuck. Then w/ the advice of chat members took the brake fluid reservoir assembly off and cleaned thoroughly filled back up bled air out and refilled to the line( do not overfill ) all was fine after and still is.[/b]
nice paint job!...you forgot the arms....everything looks sweet til you see that....what happened there? looks like you dropped the ball on that one....lol

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bckmstr @ Dec 23 2009, 09:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (illinitcat @ Dec 23 2009, 08:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you can replace the piston o-ring and hone the caliper cylinder, had to do that w/ mine and it still stuck. Then w/ the advice of chat members took the brake fluid reservoir assembly off and cleaned thoroughly filled back up bled air out and refilled to the line( do not overfill ) all was fine after and still is.[/b]
nice paint job!...you forgot the arms....everything looks sweet til you see that....what happened there? looks like you dropped the ball on that one....lol
[/b][/quote]
That looks like a modified AGLT to me. Probably did the paint job before the front end upgrade.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quisty09 @ Dec 22 2009, 02:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have a 2000 zr600 efi. i was riding it across the lake and when i let off the gas it seems like it slows down fast and sounds like the brake is on.(that "squealing" noise you sometimes get when hitting the brakes) Has anyone had this happen to them? is it normal? how do you fix it?[/b]
What he is talking about is fully letting off the throttle at high speed. What you are experiencing is basically downshifting of the clutches and is normal as long as the track isn't locking up.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Okay, as to not open a new post im adding to this one.

This is happening to me as well. I've just changed the track to a 1.25" ripsaw and replaced all the bearings in the skid, jackshaft and driveshaft. Regardless of the speed I'm going, when I let off of the throttle, it's jarring to say the least.

There is plenty of snow on the trail so I know it's not my slides and my track splns a little when up on the stand, so I don't believe it's track tension or caliper hangup.

What's left?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
clutches not balanced
warped brake rotor
drive cog slipped on the drive shaft or a bad cog

just some ideas

·
Registered
204 Posts
Clutches not balanced? What would that mean exactly? would they react in a certain way? the primary is a comet 108exp that only has a few hundred km's on it and the secondary was rebuilt last year.

for the warped rotor, is there a way to check this? Can I spread the pads away from the disk while the caliper is still on the machine?

Could it be the new track? does, or could going from an OEM .8" lug to a 1.25 ripsaw produce that much more drag? I should add that the new track is only clipped every third hole.

Thanks

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'am running the 1.25 ripsaw and yes it does produce some drag, It does slow me down quicker than the stock lug but doesn't seem drastic. it's a stiff track much stiffer than my 1.50 on my zr. I have loosened the tension up quite a bit and this seems to help.

As far as the brakes dragging when I bought my zr several years ago the guy wasn't big on maintenance. the brakes dragged after they got warm, I found it held pressure in the system ( just crack your bleeder on caliper). fluid was burnt and dark, pulled the master cylider apart and cleaned, flushed the system and it's never happened again.

·
Registered
204 Posts
good to know.

I think I'm due for a brake fluid change. Is it any different than doing a car?

I'll look into doing this for next weekend.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts