Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noobie question here.

On the older sleds what type brake fluid was run in the systems .

I have a 1978 El tigre , I asked at 2 parts stores 1 told me dot3 and the other said dot4 ? :wacko:

The fluid in it now has a red tint to it , from the previous owner. I'd hate to mix in a different type(dot#) . Done that on a bike and made a mess off things.

Thankjs

·
Registered
55 Posts
First off dot 3 and dot 4 are compatable fluids. One has a better resistance to boiling(4), but the other flows better at low temps(3). Alos, not thinking that a late 70's tigre has juice brakes. My '78 El Tigre 6000 has cable brakes as does my '91 Wildcat. But I am converting my '91 to a hydraulic brake this summer, so maybe yours has been converted too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
" Alos, not thinking that a late 70's tigre has juice brakes. My '78 El Tigre 6000 has cable brakes as does my '91 Wildcat "

I never noticed that in the manual I have , you are correct someone done a swap on this sled .

Thanks for the info and binging it to my attention .

·
Registered
55 Posts
If it has a swap performed, try and find out what master cylinder it has. My Thundercat (as well as all newer cats with hydraulic brakes) have a Wilwood brake setup. If that is the case, most of the snowmobile catalog companies sell wilwood brand fluid that isn't all that expensive, but is pretty good stuff. Otherwise I think some of the older Polaris hydraulic brake systems were Kelsey Hayes, and not sure what fluid I would recomend for those. I also think they may have used a brand called Velex, or something like that and an "old" shop manual from late 70's/early 80's says silicone brake fluid for that one, which would be DOT5 which is NOT compatable with DOT3 or DOT4. Hope this helps a little.If you can, take a picture of what you have for a Hydro Brake setup on that EL Tigre, I am intruiged by the idea of converting another of my sleds...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.