Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2007 F5 and a 2008 F5 and I have a few questions about them Im hoping someone can assist. I have always riden Skidoos and want to give ACs a try. Neither came with a manual so Im hoping someone can lend me a hand.

One of the sellers said changing the oil in the Diamond direct drive was painful, is there a how to and what oil should be used?

One guy used AMS Oil and the other used AC dealer oil. I have other sleds and prefer to use something basic and locally available. Is AMS oil or Castrol GTX oil OK? Both are locally available and at local stors off of the trail.

THe 2007 has a higher windshield thats adjustable and the 2008 has one barely high enough to cover the dash. Id like to get a higher windshield like the 07 for the 08 but looking at them online I cant tell what size I should get, IE where is it measured from? Also the aftermarket ones do not appear to have mirrors on them. Can I drill and mount the stock mirrors on an aftermarket windshield?

Id like to raise the handle bar on the 08, how high can I go without extention cables and do the extention blocks such as this one:
Powermadd Riser Blocks Arctic Cat - Shade Tree Powersports

just extend onto the bottom of the existing stock adjustable block?

Last question, any known pitfalls with the F5 LXRs I should look for from a maintenance view?

Thank You

~ Phil

·
Registered
774 Posts
1. Dealer has always changed my Diamond drive oil. Use Cat oil for it. Change every fall as it collects moisture over the summer, so dump it in fall.

2. You don't have power valves on them so you can use Amzoil or basic Cat oil.

3. Probly want a mid or high windshield (at least from the Cat line) Cannot speak for aftermarket and mirrors mounted to them.

4.Cannot help you w/riser blocks, sorry.

5. Let them warm up good before moving when cold. Let idle for a minute or so before shutting off after running them. Overall, the F5's are pretty much trouble free. Just gas-n-go. If both sleds are LXR's, experiment w/ seat position and handlebars. I prefer to have the seat all the way up/forward and ride is simply incredible. If you don't run the sleds a lot during the winter, may want to install a battery tender on them. Plus during off season, charge batteries 1x a month w/ regular charger set on 2amps for 24hours, but a battery tender works very well and does same thing and is small.

·
Registered
135 Posts
changing diamond drive oil is easy, remove secondary clutch, there will be a drain plug and a fill plug. on my 07 f1000 i have to tip it up on its side to fill it. there is a fill line on the outside of the case. i just filled it up till it almost came out of the fill hole.

as for oil i only bought 1 jug of cat oil and spending $80 bucks for 4 litres was too hard for me to swallow, if you find a snowmobile oil that meets JASO FD standards your golden. the oil i use is called mystik from canadian tire about $6 a litre.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
changing diamond drive oil is easy, remove secondary clutch, there will be a drain plug and a fill plug. on my 07 f1000 i have to tip it up on its side to fill it. there is a fill line on the outside of the case. i just filled it up till it almost came out of the fill hole.

as for oil i only bought 1 jug of cat oil and spending $80 bucks for 4 litres was too hard for me to swallow, if you find a snowmobile oil that meets JASO FD standards your golden. the oil i use is called mystik from canadian tire about $6 a litre.
Hi Steve thanks for the advice Ill look for oil with that standard. Another question on the secondary, I havent looked at it yet is there anything special about removing the secondary on the LXr? Ive done quite a bit of work on my SKidoos, replace clutch, changed tracks but never had to pull the secondary off.

~ Phil

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi Steve thanks for the advice Ill look for oil with that standard. Another question on the secondary, I havent looked at it yet is there anything special about removing the secondary on the LXr? Ive done quite a bit of work on my SKidoos, replace clutch, changed tracks but never had to pull the secondary off.

~ Phil
I wouldnt think anything would be different with the lxr, remove the belt and remove the bolt holding on the secondary and it should just slide off.

·
Premium Member
2,404 Posts
If your 2007 has the stock adjustable windshield and you want one for your 08, I have one that I'd get rid of.... bought it as a spare when we had twin spar sleds.... no longer needed...

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If your 2007 has the stock adjustable windshield and you want one for your 08, I have one that I'd get rid of.... bought it as a spare when we had twin spar sleds.... no longer needed...
Hi so you have the entire windshield including the lower part that is secured to the sled? Yes Id be interested is is just clear or smoke IE not pink?

How much do you want for it?

~ Phil

1 - 11 of 11 Posts