Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone! I just picked up an 07 500 auto. 1213 miles on the clock. came with brand new avs rims, 27in swap pros , brush guard and 2500lbs warn winch. atvg is in show room condition. I picked it up for $3800.00. not sure if thats a good deal or not but seemed it at the time. Anyway, I love this machine. Always owned race quads but decided to make a change. Anyway, everything else is bone stock. I need more power!!!! I mean over all its good, but low end seems weak to me, and in 7 acres of smooth mowed land I am only seeing 42mph. which is a turd in my opinion. anyway, is it possible to get the clutch or some other power adder besides doing a cam to get the front end of this thing up . from a dead stop, i might as well rip my arms out of the sockects, but coasting over hills I can get the front end off the ground. need some advise on this, getting sick of being left in the dust my my buddies atv,s. I know its not a speed machine, but i can barley get the rear tires to spin in the grass. HELP!!!!!!! love the site by the way.
Ohh and one other thing, I see that AC does not make the 500 engine any more. Should this be a concern of mine? thanks.
Nick

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
the motor is made by suzuki, same as vinson. send the primary to ///AIRDAM, that'll give you the low end you want. you can mod the exhaust and buy a jet kit for less than $100, might as well get some 2" pvc and do snorks while your at it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is the clutch work gonna get the front end up?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (goombadi99 @ Nov 15 2009, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
is the clutch work gonna get the front end up?[/b]

It should. you may still need a bit of body motion, but no where near the body motion you need now. i.e standing on the rear racks.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
my 400 pulls 12 to 18 inches with no help. 1 foot on the rack and it'll set on the bumper just rolling into the gas.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my buddy has a grizzly, and the other has a honda es680. I know these are bigger displacement engines, but i am gettin smoked!!! even standin on the racks, it doesnt have enough low end to pick it up from a dead stop. to luggy on low end, throttle response down low seems weak. Atv was also female owned, so I know it hasnt been beat on. Thanks for all the rplies

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
yours is carbed and theres are efi...so they'll have more low end than you..theres a couple of free to cheap mods on here that will help out your machine emmensly...and if thats not enough...fourstroketech makes a bbk for that that will really wake it up..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no nig bore kiys for me. I dont need that much power just wanna show em that the cat can keep up. although we havent line up in the mud yet, which is where I think mine will shine

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
That's a great looking quad. You need to read the HID sticky. Your buddies will always let you lead once you have em :lol:

You don't need to keep up in drag races. Where you will excel is in the rough stuff. Let your buddies beat on their machines and break stuff.
I get depressed when racing my buddies with their larger bore bikes. But I can out do them on any of the technical stuff. I have taken my 400 places that a 660 grizz could not follow. I have actually surprised a few riders with just how quick my 400 is. :lol:
Just food for thought.

Search the "carb slide mod", it's free and gives you a little low end snap. Clutch kit depending on your riding style and Airdam's mod. Then I vote for exhaust and snorkels. Just IMO

·
Registered
401 Posts
snork it, exhuast mod, airdam it, and for a little better throttle response look up drill and clip mod. no one has commented on his top speed of 42 mph, is that really all he can expect to get out of the 500? ive never had one but 42 seemed slow and was trying to make sure that theres not some other issue that needs to be resolved.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well I know with the bigger tires my speedo is prob off 4-5 mph. today on the road I ran out of room on my street but was able to hiy 48 with these tires. Im sure these tires are not light either. but over all I love the atv, I would hate to get rid of it to buy a larger bore atv. this one has so much ground clearance!!!

·
Registered
401 Posts
if you end up buying a bigger bore, so long as you stay with arctic cat you will still have your ground clearence. we will have to wait till GWC chimes in i think hes got a 500 he can probably be of some assistance.

·
Registered
923 Posts
the reason your bike feels so sluggish off the line and as soon as you punch the throttle is because of the clutching. the factory clutching is designed that way. i can do some machining to the clutches to help with your lackluster low end, and depending on how much money you want to spend, i can get you a few more mph top speed as well. your bike does not really have the power to be a mad dune runner with blazing top speeds, but i feel certain that after some of my work you can see over 50mph, and have tons more low end snap to boot.

also, just wait till you become more used to that bike and are able to manuver it and manipulate it with certain accuracy. you'll make that 500 cat walk all over your competetion. technical riding, mud, pulling, ground clearance, stability, you name it the cat is at the top of the food chain. you gotta good clean bike. the clutching is the main area in need of modification.

·
Registered
590 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (///AIRDAM @ Nov 16 2009, 12:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
the reason your bike feels so sluggish off the line and as soon as you punch the throttle is because of the clutching. the factory clutching is designed that way. i can do some machining to the clutches to help with your lackluster low end, and depending on how much money you want to spend, i can get you a few more mph top speed as well. your bike does not really have the power to be a mad dune runner with blazing top speeds, but i feel certain that after some of my work you can see over 50mph, and have tons more low end snap to boot.

also, just wait till you become more used to that bike and are able to manuver it and manipulate it with certain accuracy. you'll make that 500 cat walk all over your competetion. technical riding, mud, pulling, ground clearance, stability, you name it the cat is at the top of the food chain. you gotta good clean bike. the clutching is the main area in need of modification.[/b]
Thats a good Commercial. thumbguy

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
im thinking a dyno jet carb kit along with some //AIRDAM clutch mods would get you where you want to be.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have an 07 500 auto as well. 42 in grass that is not flat is about what I've found. Get it on flat gravel and and mine gets to 48mph and still more, buit I tend to run out of room. I'm waiting until my warrenty is up (feb 2010) to get the AIRDAM mod and also mod the exhaust and jet kit. Always want more power and for less than $200, that seems like money well spent.

·
Registered
265 Posts
i got a 07 500i auto and i hit 57mph before and after moding, lost a tiny bit when clutching, but i figured the low end punch was worth the minor lose. cause i can walking around in some deep crap before getting stuck. i also turn 28" edl's with itp delta steels and thats a 200lb addon and i turn them good in the mud. had my maching in mud upto the racks with the wife on the back and i came screeming out and the best part was everyone thought i was S.O.L. and going to be in need of a tow. check my specs to get some ideas

1 - 20 of 26 Posts