Arctic Cat Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
So I bought a 2003 ZL600 efi (with power valves of course) at the beginning of the season; it runs beautiful except recently it has started to bog out at 3000 rpms from a stop when you give it full throttle. If you ease into it its fine, even it its a bit aggressively. I've looked around and it seems like forums are saying its the apv servo and that its common, however I don't want to just start replacing parts so i figured I'd ask all of you that have more knowledge of the subject. I'm not familiar with sleds at all as far as working on them, this is my first snowmobile that I own and have to maintain lol so bare with me. I haven't cleaned the power valves or done anything due to not really knowing for sure where to start.
How about clean your clutches, get fresh clutch springs and a new belt with proper deflection before you start hacking into things.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Cleaning the clutches I can see, however the belt is brand new and correct, however if the springs were bad than wouldn't it be boggy throughout the entire "acceleration cycle" we'll call it, seeing as the springs wouldn't be applying proper load

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
No, a broken primary spring can just cause issues with engagement and not impact higher RPM's. The clutches could probably use a good cleaning and maybe new bushings in the weights. Cat used to have a service kit that included new fly weight bushings, shims and pins for the primary. Once you get the cover off the primary, releiveing the spring, you'll be able to feel how smoothly the sheaves move on the shaft and assess if that bushing is worn and if the clutch is serviceable, or in need of replacement. The secondary could be binding, as well, and that could cause a bog. the unloaded test may indicate if the secondary is sticking.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts