Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night i gave my sled a compression check to see what my problem is both cylinders are at 110 115 ish but about 50 miles ago or start of season i was at 130 135 ish so i pulled the head and both pistons look good on top i pulled the jugs and the mag side piston had some scuffs on the intake side about center to center of wrist pin ( 1/4 of the piston) what would case this and would this be my problem ( starts and idles fine but under load it bogs and backfires like crazy until high Rs)

·
Registered
567 Posts
What sled are you working on? Not sure that your low compression will cause a backfire. Was the engine the same temp for both tests? I find it hard to believe you would lose that much compression in only 50 miles. Sounds more like an ignition problem.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Check the stator. The score on the intake side was probably caused by a blast of water from either the fuel or snow ingestion. Check the airbox to carb boot. the spit and sputter could be water also, but I am guessing electrical on that.

·
Registered
567 Posts
On that sled, it's likely a stator issue. You can check the TPS, and the kill switch also just to be sure. Look for a post from Blaine, he has a bunch of links at the bottom of his posts on how to check out the stator.

·
Registered
62 Posts
How do the plugs look and how is your oil consumption? Get ample smoke when she's running? FYI, I put an aftermarket stator in my sled and it lasted about 50 miles, maybe 100. They're garbage. Best bet is to get a Cat part (used or new) and when it goes have it rewound properly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.